Procedure To Import An English Car

Gorsh

Hi everyone

There must be many of you who have bought a UK car and imported it here to the IOM. I know there is other threads talking about how long you can use it here before getting it tested and re-registering it etc, insuring the car is no problem as all I need is the registration, make and model etc, but that part is straight forward and not what I need to know.

I am about to buy a car from a UK dealer - a used car, not new. I have not done this before and wonder what procedure everyone else follows.

I understand the dealer cannot change the ownership to me at my IOM address - I have no relatives or friends in the UK I want to ask to use their address, so how do I get around this please?

Can I use the dealers address - or maybe persuade the dealer not to change the ownership and just hand me the complete V5C document - if he agrees to that and I hand it in here to re-register it does that cause any problem? I would be able to prove ownership by producing the sales invoice.

Can anyone please help with the UK side of this process - once the car is on the Island I am happy with the procedure I need to follow.

Many thanks

Gordon

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Gordon

Just get the V5 document. Bring the car over here. If it's over 3 years old, go to the test centre in Tromode and make an appointment to put it through test (I did this a couple of months ago and only waited a couple of days for an appointment). Once it's through test (if it needs one) take the pass certificate to the post office and they will give you the necessary forms to fill in. They will also give you a new registration number and tax disk. Make sure you bring a copy of your insurance with you.

If the car is over three years old, you need to put it through test as soon as reasonably practicable.

I think that's all there is to it. DMS on Demesne Road will make you some number plates up.

Cheers

CP.

Because you're exporting a car from the UK you need the whole V5, not just the new keepers slip, you won't be able to send away for a new V5 because the DVLA won't send a uk V5 to a manx address.

Expect it to fail the manx test on something silly, if you catch them on a good day and providing its had a very recent MOT you should be ok.

If the car is under 3 years old, then it doesn't need a test. If you can get the whole V5, fill in a few forms at the IOM Post Office, and they will give you a tax disc and local number. Get a set of plates made up and take them to the UK. Stick them on the car and drive it back.

Get the V5 in full and that saves a load of hassle.

However, some UK dealers dont understand our system here and will refuse to hand over the whole thing as technically they have a legal requirement to fill it in and post it off to the DVLA.

I have bought cars where both scenarios have happened.

All that will happen with the latter, is that the DVLA will eventually just post it back to you after their customary 4-6 week delay. You can then follow route 1 explained above, but its a pain waiting.

Unless you have a UK address to use you will struggle to get a tax rebate.

Insurance wise, you are required to have a policy using the UK plates until the moment the manx plates are mounted on the vehicle, after which it will be invalid so you need to time the amendment of the policy accordingly or risk it.

The manx test will remain valid for more than ample time to cover any scenario above so get it booked in. I have had a vehicle UK MOT'd one day and Manx tested the next. This sort of arrangement will give you maximum comeback to the dealer if it fails.

You live here right?

So buy, get the whole V5 insure and drive to the boat on English plates, make sure it has a tax disc that's valid, you can get a partial refund, and if more than 3 years old that it has a current MOT

If it needs an IOM test you can have pre booked it before you go away to collect or you can wait a few days. If it doesn't then you can download the forms on line on the government website and take to the post office or post it in

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/transport/highways/Online_Forms/mvr5.pdf

NB during Grand Prix they may be busy at Tromode

Thanks for all your replies folks.

There a still a couple of scenarios though that I'm not completely clear about if anyone has the patience to explain please.

The car will be over 3 years old so I need to get it back here and tested before I can re-register it.

Insurance wise I am clear about - insure on the UK registration number first then change it as soon as it is re-registered.

If the dealer is happy to hand over the complete V5 am I correct in thinking the IOM Post Office keep the V5 and inform the DVLA?

If the dealer insists on sending part of the V5 to the DVLA, I assume they will not process it with my IOM address as the new owner, so when they return it will the DVLA send it to me or back to the dealer?

I would obviously like to claim back any remaining UK tax left on the disc, can I do that from my IOM address? Do I just return the tax disc and ask for a refund?

I have a shortlist of 3 cars to go and look at so I'm not sure yet which of the above scenarios I will be faced with.

Many thanks.

Gordon

Re tax, when you are over there, get a VED refund form from a UK post office to bring back with you. They refund any full months tax to you here, no problem.

if you get the full v5, the gov just send it back to the UK when you change it and the reg number is held in limbo should you return the car at any point to the UK. It then gets the same reg back.

I think the dvla issue an export cert to the dealer who sends it you in the case of no full v5, but you have to ask for it and 99.9 times out of 100 have to keep chasing them for it. Giving you the full v5 saves them hassle.

Thats no longer the case with tax, they will not refund it in your name to an address over here. You will need a friend/relative in the UK for the DVLA to update the address to assuming they have it down as passed on to the motor trade. They can then post a cheque to you over here.

That is fact.

If the dealer wont give you the v5, they will post it to the dvla with your details on as the new keeper (ie manx address). You will get the temporary tear-off slip to prove ownership if pulled by the pigs. The dvla will post it back to you after a few weeks with a letter asking why the fuck it went to them in the first place.

You now have it back, and assuming you have a manx test certificate and insurance, you can reregister at an iom post office. They will take the whole v5 off you, obtain your new manx reg no. via a telephone call and away you go.

Re tax, when you are over there, get a VED refund form from a UK post office to bring back with you. They refund any full months tax to you here, no problem.

They wouldn't do that for me, trying to chase up anything to do with the DVLA is a complete ball ache.

If its got any more than 6 months it might be worth the hassle, any less i'd just forget about it.

The tax is not going to change the price of the car. It must be taxed to allow you to legally drive to the boat, just as it must have a valid MOT if older than 3.

Insist that the dealer put the car through its MOT before you buy. You can do an MOT every day on the same car, it isn't just once a year. (different rules apply in NI, where MOTs are dealt with by a government (lack of ) service) That should assist it being in good order to get through the Manx Test, but not a guarantee

It really isn't worth the hassle of trying to get the tax back. First the vehicle is not registered in your name in the UK, so you wont be able to apply and second the dealer can tax it for 3 months so the amount will be small, hence my initial comment about it not changing the price

Finally, don't even try engaging with DVLA, you wont get through, if you do you will never speak to the same person twice and everyone will contradict each other and they lose letters, never reply and will not confirm anything in writing anyway

Thanks very much folks, there seems to be different opinions about the tax refund - maybe it depends who deals with it at the DVLA and it's a matter of luck if they refund it or not.

I will try and get the full V5 from the dealer, I can assure him it will be returned to the DVLA by the IOM Government. If he insists on sending it off I might be best using an address in the UK as then they can send me the full V5 when it arrives - otherwise if I use my IOM address it sounds like I could be waiting a while before I can re-register it here.

Thanks again everyone for your input - just got to hope the car I want is still there when I phone tomorrow, I have got two alternatives though so I will probably go for one of them. One thing is for sure - the dealers over there are cheaper than here - the dealers here seem to want it both ways, ie charge over the book price when you buy and give you the bare book price when you sell.

Gordon

Archived