Procedure To Import An English Car

Gorsh

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will try and get the full V5 from the dealer, I can assure him it will be returned to the DVLA by the IOM Government. If he insists on sending it off I might be best using an address in the UK as then they can send me the full V5 when it arrives - otherwise if I use my IOM address it sounds like I could be waiting a while before I can re-register it here.

There is no law that states that the V5C document itself must be sent to the DVLA in order to notify them of a change of keeper, export etc and in so very many cases the docs are lost without a trace anyway and things still get processed. The DVLA are quite happy to accept a plain written notification from the seller/dealer and for you to retain the full V5C. If the dealer is really unsure of his obligations he can just ring the DVLA and they'll tell him what to do, but I doubt they'll need to. Used cars get sold for export all the time and the procedure is the same wherever they go in the world.

Have now been over and bought a car yesterday, came back on the overnight boat last night so I thought I'd update you.

The dealer was happy to give me the complete V5, but the tax had ran out and the Post Office wouldn't allow him to tax the car without sending the ownership change bit of the V5 to the DVLA - they told him this was a new 'rule' they had to apply. I would normally then have used a relatives or friends address in England and wait 4 weeks for the V5, but the car I was buying was 3 years old on the 1st September so I was keen to avoid the hassle and expense of the test. After discussing various options the dealer very kindly allowed me to drive the car home on a pair of his trade plates - I posted them back to him next day delivery.

So the car is now re-registered, insured, taxed and new number plates fitted - all done in a couple of days.

The only thing I am no wiser on is if you can claim unused tax back from the IOM or not - but this wouldn't be a problem if you register it to a UK address as they would send the refund there.

Now I have done this once I wouldn't hesitate to do it again as UK dealers are generally cheaper - and there is a larger choice of cars without going too far from Liverpool or Heysham.

Thanks for all your input folks.

Gordon

You can only get a road tax refund if you are the uk registered owner. I bought a car in the UK and drove it to the IOM the same day and registered it here next morning. Then I tried to get a refund on the UK tax. No amount of arguing would get them to budge and I received nowt..... and they kept the disc!

Gorsh, It's a lot easier buying a car in the UK and cheaper. I live in Onchan and travel to and from the Island to work for a large dealer group here in the UK.

We have a number of drivers who deliver cars all over the UK to customers ( and will also drive a car over to the Island ), Any one buying a car in the UK can have the dealer send all V5/ OR new V55 paper work direct to the main post office at tromode to register a new or used car with the new owners insurance cover note plus payment ( if less than 3 years old).

Have now been over and bought a car yesterday, came back on the overnight boat last night so I thought I'd update you.

The dealer was happy to give me the complete V5, but the tax had ran out and the Post Office wouldn't allow him to tax the car without sending the ownership change bit of the V5 to the DVLA - they told him this was a new 'rule' they had to apply. I would normally then have used a relatives or friends address in England and wait 4 weeks for the V5, but the car I was buying was 3 years old on the 1st September so I was keen to avoid the hassle and expense of the test. After discussing various options the dealer very kindly allowed me to drive the car home on a pair of his trade plates - I posted them back to him next day delivery.

So the car is now re-registered, insured, taxed and new number plates fitted - all done in a couple of days.

The only thing I am no wiser on is if you can claim unused tax back from the IOM or not - but this wouldn't be a problem if you register it to a UK address as they would send the refund there.

Now I have done this once I wouldn't hesitate to do it again as UK dealers are generally cheaper - and there is a larger choice of cars without going too far from Liverpool or Heysham.

Gordon

You can only get a road tax refund if you are the uk registered owner. I bought a car in the UK and drove it to the IOM the same day and registered it here next morning. Then I tried to get a refund on the UK tax. No amount of arguing would get them to budge and I received nowt..... and they kept the disc!

This the current correct advice.

Despite whatever maybe used to happen, now you have to have a UK address (either your own or a friend/relatives) for the DVLA to update to, but they will post the refund to an island address after giving them a UK address as well.

now you have to have a UK address (either your own or a friend/relatives) for the DVLA to update to, but they will post the refund to an island address after giving them a UK address as well.

That has a ring of authenticity for a nonsensical government rule so it's probably right.

Gordon

Glad it all worked out ok, sounds like the dealer went that extra mile with the trade plates aswell. If you'd recommend the dealer could you post who it was?, i'll be looking for a new car myself soon and its far easier dealing with someone who has dealt with an IOM resident before.

Gordon

Glad it all worked out ok, sounds like the dealer went that extra mile with the trade plates aswell. If you'd recommend the dealer could you post who it was?, i'll be looking for a new car myself soon and its far easier dealing with someone who has dealt with an IOM resident before.

I bought a BMW 520d and found it via Autotrader website. I had telephone conversations with three dealers - one a BMW franchise and two independents - the one I bought from was a small garage called Rydal Motors in Preston. A quick google will find their web site. The owner Gary was a good bloke and very helpful - the car was a lot cheaper than it would be here in the IOM. The only negative I would say is to carefully check everything works on the car before leaving, I noticed the aircon wasn't working just after I left so I went back and he arranged for it to be fixed within the hour so I was very pleased with his aftercare - just a pity the pre-sale checks hadn't picked it up. I would definitely buy from him again.

Gordon

Gordon

I bought a BMW 520d and found it via Autotrader website. I had telephone conversations with three dealers - one a BMW franchise and two independents - the one I bought from was a small garage called Rydal Motors in Preston. A quick google will find their web site. The owner Gary was a good bloke and very helpful - the car was a lot cheaper than it would be here in the IOM. The only negative I would say is to carefully check everything works on the car before leaving, I noticed the aircon wasn't working just after I left so I went back and he arranged for it to be fixed within the hour so I was very pleased with his aftercare - just a pity the pre-sale checks hadn't picked it up. I would definitely buy from him again.

Gordon

Just had a look, might be a 'small' garage but still 42 cars listed! Its on my dealers to look at, prices are a bit all over the place, some about a grand too much, some are spot on though.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Gorsh, It's a lot easier buying a car in the UK and cheaper. I live in Onchan and travel to and from the Island to work for a large dealer group here in the UK.

We have a number of drivers who deliver cars all over the UK to customers ( and will also drive a car over to the Island ), Any one buying a car in the UK can have the dealer send all V5/ OR new V55 paper work direct to the main post office at tromode to register a new or used car with the new owners insurance cover note plus payment ( if less than 3 years old).

Gordon

The above ‘Quote’ is from a few years ago.

Can anybody help me with the current methods of buying a car from a dealer across, by part exchanging my Manx registered car?

A UK dealer told me today he could not get a new registration for my car within 1 to 2 months; in effect he would be ‘stuck’ with mine on his forecourt for that time! So maybe things have changed.

I want to:

- Retain my existing number plate

- Take my car over there for part exchange

- Bring the new car back (it’s less than a year old)

- Register it here with my old number plate

Will I need to re-register my car with a new plate and put my existing one on hold somehow?

Do I need any official forms / acknowledgements from IOM Government to give to the dealer?

Will I expect the dealer to give me any official forms / acknowledgements from UK Government to re-register here?

I won’t be claiming any road tax from the UK car, but there is 10 months to run on my existing car here. Is that refundable?

I assume there could be one or two bumf declarations to be made so I would appreciate form numbers etc if it’s not too much trouble.

Lots of questions there but I would really appreciate any guidelines.

Archived