Uk Income Tax Vs Iom Income Tax

Roger Smelly

The problem with the lowest paid on the island is the fact that they may pay a little tax, but the cost of living hurts them the most.

And they get paid more than they would in the UK. So are still better off than if they lived over there

Spot on, my salary would be 6k less in the UK, the living costs would save me around £3000, but thats still a £3000 short fall.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of uninformed twaddle on this thread.

We get paid close to London rates. How much do you think people pay for rent in central London? "Normal" people cannot afford to live there, so live in the suburbs where rents are more reasonable, not cheap, just more reasonable. They then pay literally thousands of pounds a year in rail fares to get to and from work. Even in central Manchester, rents are not cheap, and wages are lower. Similar commuting costs. Just because someone passes a petrol station in the middle of nowhere selling "cheap" petrol, does not mean it is cheap everywhere. Take Cornwall as an example, I was in St Ives a few years ago, and every petrol station I saw was more expensive than we paid here at the time. Two weeks ago, I was in M&S near Manchester. Prices pretty much the same as here. A loaf of bread £1.46. That is not far off the same as we pay.

ETA - pressed post by accident.

So, yes, if you can find a cheap house somewhere on the outskirts of Manchester, where you don't have a massive commute, earn London scale wages, don't insure your house or contents, and live without a car, then yes. Living in the uk MAY be cheaper. But don't count on it!

We get paid close to London rates.

That's certainly what I've experienced, yet according to the AHSE survey our salaries are lower. The higher proportion of low earners in the hospitality section skew it down it seems.

I doubt that. Lot of extremely miserable wages over there and a lower minimum wage to facilitate them.

A lot of uninformed twaddle on this thread.

We get paid close to London rates. How much do you think people pay for rent in central London? "Normal" people cannot afford to live there, so live in the suburbs where rents are more reasonable, not cheap, just more reasonable. They then pay literally thousands of pounds a year in rail fares to get to and from work. Even in central Manchester, rents are not cheap, and wages are lower. Similar commuting costs. Just because someone passes a petrol station in the middle of nowhere selling "cheap" petrol, does not mean it is cheap everywhere. Take Cornwall as an example, I was in St Ives a few years ago, and every petrol station I saw was more expensive than we paid here at the time. Two weeks ago, I was in M&S near Manchester. Prices pretty much the same as here. A loaf of bread £1.46. That is not far off the same as we pay.

ETA - pressed post by accident.

So, yes, if you can find a cheap house somewhere on the outskirts of Manchester, where you don't have a massive commute, earn London scale wages, don't insure your house or contents, and live without a car, then yes. Living in the uk MAY be cheaper. But don't count on it!

Good points. Hard times in the UK for the have-not-a-lots and we will travel down the same road over the next few years.

Think IT would be the most appropriate, most people I know outside of retail are either in IT or working within a bank. A nurse on the island earns more than the UK equivalent, but I'm struggling to find any jobs advertised on the IOM job centre that states the salary, most just say dependent on experience.

I don't think they do. They're on par, if anything.

Archived