Maderia Flight Not Enough Runway !

asitis

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My almost 80 year old Dad and his wife were stuck on that plane on the runway for five hours. I kept getting text messages off them with updates. They were one of the 'lucky' ones not taken off the flight. Some did volunteer to get off, but some who were last booked on were told to get off from what I was told.

They are now in a hotel in Lisbon, waiting to fly out this afternoon to Madeira. They booked the holiday as an easy direct flight to their holiday destination, turned into a bit of a nightmare for them.

"Manx Radio

Direct flight too heavy to take-off

Published online at 22/10/2013 06:50:00

Frustrated passengers spent five hours on the runway amid farcical scenes at Ronaldsway yesterday (Monday).

A direct flight to Madeira was delayed after a change in the wind direction meant the plane was too heavy to take-off.

It's understood fuel couldn't be removed from the plane because the local supplier didn't have the capacity to store it.

The plane finally left around eight thirty last night after 30 passengers volunteered to give up their seat and leave on a non-direct flight today.

It’s understood they are to receive £250 each in compensation."

If the local supplier supplied it in the first place then where was his recently-emptied storage capacity?

Or did the local supplier not have the facility to remove fuel from the aircraft?

"Manx Radio

Direct flight too heavy to take-off

Published online at 22/10/2013 06:50:00

Frustrated passengers spent five hours on the runway amid farcical scenes at Ronaldsway yesterday (Monday).

A direct flight to Madeira was delayed after a change in the wind direction meant the plane was too heavy to take-off.

It's understood fuel couldn't be removed from the plane because the local supplier didn't have the capacity to store it.

The plane finally left around eight thirty last night after 30 passengers volunteered to give up their seat and leave on a non-direct flight today.

It’s understood they are to receive £250 each in compensation."

If the local supplier supplied it in the first place then where was his recently-emptied storage capacity?

Or did the local supplier not have the facility to remove fuel from the aircraft?

As far as I am aware it is not permitted to store defuelled fuel in any case and it has to be disposed of.

Bullshit Berstha said the excess fuel weight was about one and a half hours flying time. Surely the simple solution was to off load the passengers, fly around for an hour and a half, land, pick up passengers, depart, touch down at a UK airport to top up fuel, fly to destination.

Archived