Snaefell To Blackpool Race

goaill fea

Keith shimmin (Q&S Motors) told me about that using bikes, mini cooper minis as fast as poss to the breakwater and onto a power boat. sounded quite an epic race.

If youre ever walking around cristal port soderick , hes the guy who has the duck pond. Nicest guy you could ever meet.

Is Keith Shimmin still going ? god he must be knocking on a bit now, i remember when he was at QS motors in Queen St, and he looked old then,

Was he the organiser of this ?

Keith shimmin (Q&S Motors) told me about that using bikes, mini cooper minis as fast as poss to the breakwater and onto a power boat. sounded quite an epic race.

If youre ever walking around cristal port soderick , hes the guy who has the duck pond. Nicest guy you could ever meet.

Why did it stop, as this sounds a popular event ?

I finished third in the engineless class in the first year, it was sponsored by Heineken.

We were allowed to get powered transport until we were at sea. I ran down Snaefell, fast car to Laxey, rowed out to John Ranscombe's yacht, had a six hour rough crossing to Fleetwood, picked up by a guy on a bike who raced to Blackpool Tower, clocked in and had to drink a can of Heineken which you had to carry with you.

We then went for another run on the way back but the weather turned bad and it took ten hours. I still have my race number somewhere and a results sheet.

A couple of years later I raced to the airport with a competitor on the back of my bike, people were pulling over to allow you a clear run but to be honest there were some dodgy trips going on, I don't think it would go down so well with the motoring public now.

How was that the "engine less class", with a fast car to laxey ?

I finished third in the engineless class in the first year, it was sponsored by Heineken.
We were allowed to get powered transport until we were at sea. I ran down Snaefell, fast car to Laxey, rowed out to John Ranscombe's yacht, had a six hour rough crossing to Fleetwood, picked up by a guy on a bike who raced to Blackpool Tower, clocked in and had to drink a can of Heineken which you had to carry with you.

We then went for another run on the way back but the weather turned bad and it took ten hours. I still have my race number somewhere and a results sheet.

A couple of years later I raced to the airport with a competitor on the back of my bike, people were pulling over to allow you a clear run but to be honest there were some dodgy trips going on, I don't think it would go down so well with the motoring public now.

Id guess he means the water crossing.

There was a separate class for totally engineless entries, totally solo entries, powered sea, scheduled sea, powered air etc etc.

Do you still have any flyers for this ?

There was a separate class for totally engineless entries, totally solo entries, powered sea, scheduled sea, powered air etc etc.

My dad took part in this in the early 70's (72/73), car from Snaefell to Ronaldsway, scheduled flight to Blackpool (there was a private aircraft class too) then motorbikes from Blackpool Airport to the Tower

He had another bike/rider waiting the other side of every set of traffic lights, so if they were on red he could run across & jump on the other bike

I'll dig out some photos and I did obtain a race guide from one year which I'll scan when I find it :-)

This sounds like a cross between the "Wacky Races" and "Monty Carlo Or Bust", Why did it cease ?

My dad took part in this in the early 70's (72/73), car from Snaefell to Ronaldsway, scheduled flight to Blackpool (there was a private aircraft class too) then motorbikes from Blackpool Airport to the Tower
He had another bike/rider waiting the other side of every set of traffic lights, so if they were on red he could run across & jump on the other bike

I'll dig out some photos and I did obtain a race guide from one year which I'll scan when I find it :-)

Archived