Snaefell To Blackpool Race

goaill fea

Keith shimmin (Q&S Motors) told me about that using bikes, mini cooper minis as fast as poss to the breakwater and onto a power boat. sounded quite an epic race.

If youre ever walking around cristal port soderick , hes the guy who has the duck pond. Nicest guy you could ever meet.

Wonder is Shim's sea crossing was in Frank Bentham's V12 Jaguar power boat.

It would have been a memorable trip if so because Frank only knew one throttle setting.

Keith shimmin (Q&S Motors) told me about that using bikes, mini cooper minis as fast as poss to the breakwater and onto a power boat. sounded quite an epic race.

If youre ever walking around cristal port soderick , hes the guy who has the duck pond. Nicest guy you could ever meet.

Wonder is Shim's sea crossing was in Frank Bentham's V12 Jaguar power boat.

It would have been a memorable trip if so because Frank only knew one throttle setting.

Was it called 'Percy Filth'?

Ray Norman also partook in this. I'm sure it was on Look North or one of the regional's at the time, maybe there's archive film somewhere.

I can`t find much about it on an internet search, ( probably because it took place over 40 years ago ), apart from an e-bay auction site, which has recently sold a commemorative broshure advertising it, but it would appear it took place practice week / TT week.

I have e-mailed iom newspapers to see if they have any info in thier archives.

I recall the late Danny Shimmin and Randall Cowell entering with a borrowed powerboat. Neither of them had the foggiest idea about navigation and all they had was a tiny pocket compass.

I'm not 100% certain whether they had to be rescued or not, but I'm pretty certain they didn't win anything!biggrin.png

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but Randall Cowell, was a coal merchant ( Bradleys Coal Merchants i think ),

And the name King Cole ( although might have been coal ) mentioned earlier in the thread, might have a connection.

Was he someting to do with the organisation of this event ?

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but Randall Cowell, was a coal merchant ( Bradleys Coal Merchants i think ),

And the name King Cole ( although might have been coal ) mentioned earlier in the thread, might have a connection.

Was he someting to do with the organisation of this event ?

i did think the same when i heard the nick name king coal.

• 4 years later...

Hi there, regarding the Blackpool to Isle of Man Races of the 1970's, I was one of the Founders of this race, along with the late Trevor Smith & Peter Sanderson and Roy Hinton. The idea came about after the race between the Post Office Tower in London and New York's Empire State Building in the 1960s.  The 4 Founders were at the time motor sport fanatics and members of Garstang & District Motor Club. I am compiling a history of the event at the moment, and if anyone has any photographs relating to the event I would love copies of them or any recollections you may have especially from competitors from the Island ( Manx National Powerboat Club - Ramsey & Peel Round Table - Isle of Man Times - F. Bentham Ltd - Keigs the Photographers etc...). I can be contacted at dave.dcbevents@gmail.com.

Anyone with memories and especially photographs would be appreciated, as I was an organiser, very busy over the 5 years the event was stated, too busy to take photos myself.

David C Bagot. 

John Noakes from Blue Peter entered one year and it was given plenty of air time on the programme. I can’t find anything on YouTube though.

17 hours ago, Dave Bagot said:

Hi there, regarding the Blackpool to Isle of Man Races of the 1970's, I was one of the Founders of this race, along with the late Trevor Smith & Peter Sanderson and Roy Hinton. The idea came about after the race between the Post Office Tower in London and New York's Empire State Building in the 1960s.  The 4 Founders were at the time motor sport fanatics and members of Garstang & District Motor Club. I am compiling a history of the event at the moment, and if anyone has any photographs relating to the event I would love copies of them or any recollections you may have especially from competitors from the Island ( Manx National Powerboat Club - Ramsey & Peel Round Table - Isle of Man Times - F. Bentham Ltd - Keigs the Photographers etc...). I can be contacted at dave.dcbevents@gmail.com.

Anyone with memories and especially photographs would be appreciated, as I was an organiser, very busy over the 5 years the event was stated, too busy to take photos myself.

David C Bagot. 

Not sure this helps, but,

Lnk not working, but Manx Nostalgia ran a thread on the race.

Archived