Majority of drink driving arrests are locals

The Sick Moon

I actually know of a few younger people who go out with a designated driver who does not drink. All down to the cost of taxi's and the sparsity of a bus service. In fact I was out at the pub with a group of friends and the younger element were all on soft drinks and driving whilst the rest of us were on pints and walking or getting taxi's home.

I suspect disposable income also plays a part in the choice of how to get around on a night out.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think expense of taxi's and the lack of public transport could very well have something to do with it.

What self respecting 18 - 25 yr old wants to toddle off on the last bus at 12.15 am

I think if there were buses to PE, Peel and Ramsey when the clubs closed, that stopped on the prom it would make a massive difference.

Several attempts to do that were made when Douglas actually did have a reasonable-for-the-size-of-the-town-night-life. None of them proved financially viable and, although some attracted customers initially, they soon faded away. One of the reasons was. obviously, a minibus full of drunks etc., while the other was the fact that it only followed the bus routes which often meant a long walk after getting off at the nearest stop to home. The final nail in the coffin was when it was realised that filling an 8-seat taxi at a fixed price worked out almost as cheap per head as the minibus service and was door-to-door.

Once upon a time we all got drunk and drove our cars. Well, lot of us anyway. It was a regular thing to go from Douglas to Peel on a Saturday night stopping off at the Quarter Bridge, Halfway, Highlander, Hawthorn and the Ballacraine on the way. These were the days where the pubs closed at 10 and the street lights went out at 11 and if you were mad enough to be out on foot at the time when the lights went out then there was a pretty good chance that cars in the road were being driven by someone who was over the limit.

And then things changed dramatically and, thanks to a sustained campaign, most of us stopped drink driving, the country pubs all closed and drinking was mostly contained in the towns and villages with punters getting around on foot.

But something has definitely changed recently. Since the beginning if the year I've learned of many younger people who take the chance and drive home. Maybe they missed the 'message' that the rest of us took on board? Who knows, but staying sober to drive is definitely not as important to the young people as it once was.

People are generally desensitised to gory or shocking campaigns these days. They see far worse in films.

Grannies and nannies don't watch the same and think their adverts will work a treat still. They don't.

Archived