Free bus pass change would cause 'angst' among elderly - charity

The Sick Moon

More affordable buses would be nice.

If you live north or south in order to visit the other side of the Island it would cost you in the region of £12 (obviously saver tickets or return journeys could bring this down to £10)

It's pretty prohibitive to visit anywhere other than Douglas from either end of the Island

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More affordable buses would be nice.

If you live north or south in order to visit the other side of the Island it would cost you in the region of £12 (obviously saver tickets or return journeys could bring this down to £10)

It's pretty prohibitive to visit anywhere other than Douglas from either end of the Island

If everybody (including pensioners) paid a pound for every journey maybe they would be 'affordable'.

There would be no need for a ticketing system.

You could have an annual competition for the best ideas to save money on public transport

I'll be gearing up with an innovative overhead tram system

monorail to the felt museum for £1?

You could have an annual competition for the best ideas to save money on public transport

Why save money on public transport ? The best places in my experience often have the best public transport systems - typically funded via a properly progressive tax system - and the locals almost never use taxis. Public transport should not just be for people who cannot afford cars or who hate the typical taxi experience. Public transport should be about making it easy and cheap to get out and about. Because it makes a place better. I'd like to see an Isle of Man where middle class, middle aged people get the bus to go out to dinner.

But people would rather spend their money on yet another giant telly they will begrudge paying for the responsible disposal of ! Or a car on hp.

ETA: not sure about the tourist railways though. Couldn't volunteers run that lot just at the weekend ?

There is a stigma with the bus.... travelling with the great unwashed

I tend to travel to work on the bus as it is much cheaper than driving in and comes and goes at convenient times.

If you mention that you get the bus though people look at you as though you just rolled in from living on the street

Why save money on public transport ? The best places in my experience often have the best public transport systems - typically funded via a properly progressive tax system - and the locals almost never use taxis. Public transport should not just be for people who cannot afford cars or who hate the typical taxi experience. Public transport should be about making it easy and cheap to get out and about. Because it makes a place better. I'd like to see an Isle of Man where middle class, middle aged people get the bus to go out to dinner.

All very well in town and city where you can make an integrated transport system of bus and tram/train/tube to cater for everyone. You turn up and you know that you will wait no more than 5 minutes before being whisked off to your destination. You need large metropolitan populations though. As with so many things here we don't have the population here to make it frequent enough to be attractive.

I tend to travel to work on the bus as it is much cheaper than driving in and comes and goes at convenient times.

If you mention that you get the bus though people look at you as though you just rolled in from living on the street

Was it Mrs Patrick Campbell who said "Anyone seen on a bus ,over the age of thirty , has demonstrably been a failure in life"?

Perhaps one could counter with "you can see what god thinks of money when you see the people he gives it to "biggrin.png

That's their problem not yours.

Archived