Port Erin Marine Research Station

Boo Gay'n

12 hours ago, gettafa said:

Human waste has been flowing into the sea for millennia and yet now we insist it shouldn't be done. A factor that seems to be overlooked when we wonder why there are so few herring and cod etc in our waters.

And on that basis Shitties are presumably now an endangered species.

11 hours ago, dilligaf said:

The island is crying out for a decent café with a good sea view.

We really don't have many and that spot is Port Erin has a fantastic view.

Apart from The Sound and maybe Bradda Glen, There are no "decent" cafes that I can think of with a good view.

Have to say that the "Cosy Nook" in Port Erin ticks all the boxes for me  , good food (try the smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel followed by a generously filled jam and cream scone :)) , while the kids/grandkids play on the beach .

Been going there for years for Sunday breakfast and shudder to think  what will happen  when the Commissioners get hold of the place next May.

That said I remember the Marine Research Station way back ........ a delight  then and sad to see it being neglected and vandalised , perhaps that is the plan so it looks such an eyesore that folk will begrudgingly agree that  a "Micky Mouse" apartment block /commercial premises  ( like the replacement for the Majestic Hotel or  Douglas Bay hotel) is preferable.

Rant over:lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, paswt said:

Have to say that the "Cosy Nook" in Port Erin ticks all the boxes for me  , good food (try the smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel followed by a generously filled jam and cream scone :)) , while the kids/grandkids play on the beach .

Been going there for years for Sunday breakfast and shudder to think  what will happen  when the Commissioners get hold of the place next May.

That said I remember the Marine Research Station way back ........ a delight  then and sad to see it being neglected and vandalised , perhaps that is the plan so it looks such an eyesore that folk will begrudgingly agree that  a "Micky Mouse" apartment block /commercial premises  ( like the replacement for the Majestic Hotel or  Douglas Bay hotel) is preferable.

Rant over:lol:

Yes the Cosy Nook is an OK cafe apart from the sand seagulls and dogs ( wobbly tables and chairs too )

It is not in the same league though as Bradda or The Sound

Niarbl is another good cafe near the sea too but that is about it

Some great ones inland but little with a view. 

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Yes the Cosy Nook is an OK cafe apart from the sand seagulls and dogs ( wobbly tables and chairs too )

You clearly have more sophisticated tastes 'Dilli':D.

The "Nosy Cook" is what it is ....... a 50's style seaside cafe , where you can have a cuppa in relative peace with the kids on the beach.

Have to say over the years have had mixed experiences   at the Sound/Bradda/ Niarbl , depending on who was running  the establishment , some good, but I'm not really into "fine dining"  , s'pose it's a case of different folks ........:flowers:

5 hours ago, paswt said:

You clearly have more sophisticated tastes 'Dilli':D.

The "Nosy Cook" is what it is ....... a 50's style seaside cafe , where you can have a cuppa in relative peace with the kids on the beach.

Have to say over the years have had mixed experiences   at the Sound/Bradda/ Niarbl , depending on who was running  the establishment , some good, but I'm not really into "fine dining"  , s'pose it's a case of different folks ........:flowers:

The service got much better everywhere when demon dobbo got binned

5 hours ago, paswt said:

The "Cosy Nook" always reminds me of how The Sound Cafe used to be.

Except you could get properly dressed crab at The Sound...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dilligaf said:

TBH I'd choose the Cosy Nook, as is now, over Bradda, the Sound or Niarbyl. It's simple but reliably excellent at being what it is. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

TBH I'd choose the Cosy Nook, as is now, over Bradda, the Sound or Niarbyl. It's simple but reliably excellent at being what it is. 

A "Greasy Spoon" at best. ?

It always reminds me of the caravan that used to be just outside Lancaster, near the Gypsy place, that served great grub to us truckers, back in the day.

Not what is wanted these days though, quality premises, quality food and quality outlook is the least that folk want.

8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

A "Greasy Spoon" at best. ?

It always reminds me of the caravan that used to be just outside Lancaster, near the Gypsy place, that served great grub to us truckers, back in the day.

Not what is wanted these days though, quality premises, quality food and quality outlook is the least that folk want.

It's certainly not a greasy spoon, although the greasy spoon cafés on the island seem to do OK. As for whether it is what is wanted - not by you perhaps but clearly by the many loyal customers who keep returning to it and recommending it. Horses for courses, diversity in a free market etc.

• Like 1