Is it time to introduce Graduated Driving Licences?

Lightening McQueen

After another tragedy involving a group of young people in a car (regardless of the cause)' is it time to seriously consider the introduction of these. The work in other jurisdictions (Australia)m and although Police budgets are being tightened, the majority of enforcement is comes from parents/relatives/peersm

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it would make much difference. I wonder what effect the introduction of 'R' plates really had on road safety ? We live with the culture of speed and motor sport all year round here; with mostly rural roads, very few or no speed limits outside towns and villages, and light touch law enforcement - until someone gets killed. Have a look at page 27 of your Courier this week too. That's the message our young speed kings are fed every week of the year in one form or another.

I'm amazed at this tragic incident is even reported yet, let alone arrests being made, being a sunday, nothing ever seems to happen on a sunday to make the news, it just yesterday managed to report another sad casualty in friday's race in MR website news which I don't think had made it into a bulletin

... and we still haven't heard about the two separate incidents of cars on their roofs near the Devil's Elbow over the last few months, no reports of anyone in court etc., very strange !

The prom was packed yesterday so a small bunch of old blokes could ride a bike around the TT course. There were police at Broadway, and both the Sea Terminal roundabouts doing their best to keep it moving but I witnessed some very irate drivers! Quite funny really. Road Race Rage!

Just realised what this thread is about. Very sad news indeed.

Teenager killed in car crash

Police are investigating after a teenager was killed in a road accident near Archallagan plantation last night.

The incident happened shortly after midnight on Foxdale Road and involved a white Renault Clio which was travelling towards The Braaid.

The man, who was a passenger in the car, was confirmed dead at the scene.

The driver and two other passengers were taken to Nobles Hospital, where they’re being treated.

The driver has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Police say they’d like to hear from anybody who saw the car before the crash.

If you have any information you can contact police on 631212.

After another tragedy involving a group of young people in a car (regardless of the cause)' is it time to seriously consider the introduction of these. The work in other jurisdictions (Australia)m and although Police budgets are being tightened, the majority of enforcement is comes from parents/relatives/peersm

I don't think these tragic accidents will ever stop, It perhaps stands out more because of their age, but plenty of people aged 30+ have crashed and killed themselves or others.

Have no idea what caused this accident, but thoughts are with all those involved.

I was on Douglas Promenade yesterday and amazed at the number of cars on the road. Far too many, if you ask me. This is only a small island and it seems like it is turning into one big giant car park.

it's just the tailback from Onchan and Pully Bridge traffic lights, nothing to worry about :lol:

Just realised what this thread is about. Very sad news indeed.

Teenager killed in car crash

Police are investigating after a teenager was killed in a road accident near Archallagan plantation last night.

The incident happened shortly after midnight on Foxdale Road and involved a white Renault Clio which was travelling towards The Braaid.

The man, who was a passenger in the car, was confirmed dead at the scene.

The driver and two other passengers were taken to Nobles Hospital, where they’re being treated.

The driver has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Police say they’d like to hear from anybody who saw the car before the crash.

If you have any information you can contact police on 631212.

when did you change your name from 'Newsbot' ?

Archived