Reading Music

The Sick Moon

And it's very different to being dismissive of other's views because they're "musos", "hipsters", or "snobs", which is basically a criticism for being better informed, or taking more of an interest in the subject.

The three categories you name are much more narrow minded when it comes to music because they tend to dismiss anything vaguely popular as dross.

Except those people don't really exist. It's a pejorative idea used to dismiss others through insecurity.

Practically, everyone I know who gets those labels likes The Beatles or Motown or ABBA etc. I know from my perspective the most fun periods have been when the mainstream zeitgeist and my taste overlap.

I get that people like to be informed about bands, lyrics etc and there are certain genres of music that I'm practically encyclopedic on, but I wouldn't try and use that information to convince someone that the music they're hearing is better than the assessment their ears have already done. Nobody is better informed about their own tastes than the person themself.

I agree, that last sentence is basically what I'm saying. When I talk about convincing, I mean a friendly discussion not a formal debate. The goal is for both parties get a bit of insight into other's passions not convince them you are right.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might have posted about this before. One evening I came home late and tuned in Radio 3. Silence for a few seconds. Then a single note. And over the next 10 minutes or so, odd sounds that were reminiscent of a band tuning up but mainly just stand alone notes and silences that weren't formed into any kind of coherent whole. Music it wasn't.

I left it on while I brewed a cuppa because I was intrigued as to what this shite could possibly be. At length, the last note was played - this must have been signalled somehow because otherwise there would have been no way to distinguish it from all of the similar notes and pregnant pauses that had gone before - and it was followed by thunderous, rapturous applause. Clearly, this was a huge arena, and apparently, what I had been listening to was the a Modern Jazz programme. So modern in fact, that it had lost all resemblance to jazz, or even music. Still, they obviously liked it so good for them.

Live near Nobles? You probably just picked up that hospital radio station for the deaf.

Sounds more like modern classical than jazz. John Cage or something. Actually, you make it sound intriguing. I imagine a tense atmosphere in the concert hall during the gaps that the music relieves a bit then the end is a giant release of tension hence the applause.

Not something I'd have on repeat on my iPod, but as a one off experience in a concert hall, it might be thrilling.

Or boring.

But there's only one way to tell.

• 2 years later...

Archived