Reading Music

The Sick Moon

I have so many things to think about daily that I just don't think about music at all, I just enjoy listening to it. I love music of all genres, ancient and modern. I don't try to rationalise in the way that Declan describes. I just know what I like and what I consider to be rubbish. There are examples of both in all kinds of music and in all eras. I accept that this extremely subjective and I would never call another person's choice rubbish. I only know what is rubbish to me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, Woolley that's a cool attitude too. You're just reacting to music on it's own merits. You don't need a reason - "that's good", "that's shit" all of which carry an implied "I think" anyway. Is an honest and personal reaction. That's great.

And it's very different to being dismissive of other's views because they're "musos", "hipsters", or "snobs", which is basically a criticism for being better informed, or taking more of an interest in the subject.

Not that knowledge neccessarily makes someone's opinion right, but it's only the arts where being better informed about a subject, is seen by some as a negative.

There is a dreadful snobbery in music,

Word.

Strangely, the snobbiest post in the thread.

There's an awful lot of inverse snobbery behind dismissing descernment, taste,

Strangely?

What ever I post you will disagree with but I really do not get what you posted other than agreeing with what I had said but in a much more long winded and obnoxious manner.

Bravo Bananaman ! Beautiful stuff.....

I would argue that this music is objectively better than some of the shite that Declan listens to. thumbsup.gif There's too much of this cultural relativism that says that everything is as good as everything else. It has reduced and 'democratised' hundreds of years of Western culture to rubble. When this truth hits you; you realise that Bach and Mozart is a hell of a sight more culturally important than Simon Cowell's wannabees or yet another Seattle guitar combo; but that's not to say that Charlie Parker, the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix (To name but three for argument's sake) aren't important in our own time.

Bravo Bananaman ! Beautiful stuff.....

I would argue that this music is objectively better than some of the shite that Declan listens to. thumbsup.gif There's too much of this cultural relativism that says that everything is as good as everything else. It has reduced and 'democratised' hundreds of years of Western culture to rubble. When this truth hits you; you realise that Bach and Mozart is a hell of a sight more culturally important than Simon Cowell's wannabees or yet another Seattle guitar combo; but that's not to say that Charlie Parker, the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix (To name but three for argument's sake) aren't important in our own time.

Yes. Bravo Bananaman. Really like that.

SMUJ: I am not sure I agree that music, or at least a genre or era of music can be objectively better or worse than another, because how do you objectivise something that is consumed so personally? If you listened to the Mozart link I posted on the previous page, I hope that you would agree the strength of the melody there. That is what appeals to me; whether it is Mozart, Bach, Strauss or something modern. You mention the Beatles as important, and of course they are towering in the past 50 years, but applying my own yardstick of what pleases my ear and seduces my brain, I don't care for a lot of their catalogue. I wouldn't have brought Simon Cowell into the discussion myself, but since you mention him in a negative context, I will again respond that I don't discount anything without giving it a chance. In my opinion some of Leona Lewis's performances are outstanding. I can only say once more that ancient or modern, I will listen with an open mind, without preconception and if I like it, I like it.

Thats not the first time you've said that in these past two days. We were into "To a mouse" and what a beautiful piece of work that is. Wee sleekit cowrin timrous beastie - fucken ace! There is so much can be talked about, when I read the curriculum and it said "introduce poetry from the 1700's" I thought "Are you mental?" however, it appears I was wrong, Burns, Wordsworth and some Irish geezer, there is a wealth of general knowledge to be gained just by looking at these three (if only I could remember the Irish guys name...I think it might have been Moore but surely I would remember that) oh my my, I bet you read Burns so so so much better than I - poem off at a party near you... :) And the Daffodil poem, everyone knows the first verse but its the last one that's important. Sadly my pupil does not share my love of 18th Century poetry :(

Apologies for being so off topic I was talking to Roxanne because I havent seen him/her IRL for ages.

And it's very different to being dismissive of other's views because they're "musos", "hipsters", or "snobs", which is basically a criticism for being better informed, or taking more of an interest in the subject.

The three categories you name are much more narrow minded when it comes to music because they tend to dismiss anything vaguely popular as dross. If it's not obscure, unsigned, difficult to get hold of or tonally actually quite difficult to comprehend, it's most often considered to be "shit" by a muso. It's an elitist snobbery that's completely unnecessary, particularly when it comes to assessing what noises I like my ears hearing.

I get that people like to be informed about bands, lyrics etc and there are certain genres of music that I'm practically encyclopedic on, but I wouldn't try and use that information to convince someone that the music they're hearing is better than the assessment their ears have already done. Nobody is better informed about their own tastes than the person themself.

Might have posted about this before. One evening I came home late and tuned in Radio 3. Silence for a few seconds. Then a single note. And over the next 10 minutes or so, odd sounds that were reminiscent of a band tuning up but mainly just stand alone notes and silences that weren't formed into any kind of coherent whole. Music it wasn't.

I left it on while I brewed a cuppa because I was intrigued as to what this shite could possibly be. At length, the last note was played - this must have been signalled somehow because otherwise there would have been no way to distinguish it from all of the similar notes and pregnant pauses that had gone before - and it was followed by thunderous, rapturous applause. Clearly, this was a huge arena, and apparently, what I had been listening to was the a Modern Jazz programme. So modern in fact, that it had lost all resemblance to jazz, or even music. Still, they obviously liked it so good for them.

Archived