I looked at Emby some time ago, just as they were going open source and I liked it, but Plex stacked up better than it at the time. Not revisited it since, I'll have another look at it, thanks.

I have a little hp box sat under my telly running Kodi on top of Windows as I only want the media on the TV, not streamed elsewhere.

It works very well and my 4 year old daughter can use it easily.

Yeah I used to use Kodi (or XBMC as it was) sat on a little windows box. I only switched to Plex because the library scanning became hit and miss and I was having to schedule twice daily reboots. Went down the windows path as it doubles up as a Steambox, albeit not a high spec one. The external streaming is a really nice bonus though.

Emby has certainly moved on since I last looked at it, I'll be checking it out next week.

Yeah I used to use Kodi (or XBMC as it was) sat on a little windows box. I only switched to Plex because the library scanning became hit and miss and I was having to schedule twice daily reboots. Went down the windows path as it doubles up as a Steambox, albeit not a high spec one. The external streaming is a really nice bonus though.

Emby has certainly moved on since I last looked at it, I'll be checking it out next week.

Kodi running on a Raspberry Pi stuck to the back of the TV and connected via HDMI works perfect. Streams from the SMB and PnP Nas boxes. Auto downloads subtitles too. Library scanning works perfectly and I never have any problems with it at all. Android app is perfect too. I ditched Plex for this so I don't have to keep the PC running. Having said that I've been playing with Chromecast and managed to cast movies from the NAS to it although it's picky about formats. Kodi plays virtually anything you throw at it.

Archived