Douglas Carnival

war baby

The carnival starts at the Terminus end of the Prom at 7pm tonight and moves slowly towards the Sea Terminal. I hope they get a good turnout for this, the second year of the revived event. The weather forecast is not too good, much the same as last year.

The carnival starts at the Terminus end of the Prom at 7pm tonight and moves slowly towards the Sea Terminal. I hope they get a good turnout for this, the second year of the revived event. The weather forecast is not too good, much the same as last year.

A great shame that thousands of people will be in Peel today for the Viking Boat Races.

How did they manage to get the same day?

A great shame that thousands of people will be in Peel today for the Viking Boat Races.

How did they manage to get the same day?

Wrong - cancelled.

https://www.facebook.com/IOMWNPT/posts/482982148533810?fref=nf

Sounds like all didn't go to plan either…. https://www.facebook.com/DouglasBoroughCouncil/posts/977873962264038?fref=nf

"An incident occurred on the Promenade this afternoon involving inflatable play equipment and a child ended up in the sea. They have been taken to Nobles as a precaution. All similar play equipment has now been closed and the incident will be fully investigated.

The Parade and After Party are not involved in the incident and will continue as planned."

Well the parade was jolly nice wasn't it? Some floats had made a real effort. Others, not so much. Nice additional bit of Oriental colour I thought, lending a hint of internationality to the proceedings. Waving too. Lots of waving. And kids snorting multi-coloured chalk off the road.

• 2 years later...

Me and the boy have headed down to this. I've not been to Douglas Carnival since it used to be on in the eighties. The stalls and fairground rides on the prom are hopelessly half arsed, as is the Villa Gaietys party in the park. Will check put the parade bit suspect its going to be a bit rubbish too.

16 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

A great day to plan a carnival...world cup and Wimbledon finals.

Let's halve Douglas rates next year by buying them a fookin calendar at xmas.

And we pay people for this shit?

The carnival is more interesting and entertaining and the participants look like they enjoy it.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

The carnival is more interesting and entertaining and the participants look like they enjoy it.

Really?? Were you there? It was rubbish, even the young fella thought so and we like that kind of stuff.

43 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Really?? Were you there? It was rubbish, even the young fella thought so and we like that kind of stuff.

I wasn’t there to be honest, I just think football and tennis are pretty poor entertainment these days

Sounds like the carnival is crap too but I have not been to one for about 20 years since our kids were young

Archived