I seem to get spam emails at a ratio of about 10 (spam):1 (legit) and it really pisses me off. Couple of questions for you elite experts (I'm using Outlook 2007 and W10):

1. I tend to 'add to blocked senders' any spam before deleting, but I'm getting the same emails from different addresses, so is it even worth trying to block them?

2. Is it correct that unsubscibing from spam is counter-productive (i.e. it proves your addy is live)

3. Given that the septics can zap a small target in a town square with an RC drone from 4000 miles away, why the fuck isn't the IT industry working harder to zap spammers? They must cost industry billions, clog the internet, wreck systems and generally piss billions of people off. I'm sure if I joined the Jimmy Savile fan club online, I'd have a visit from some men in black pretty toot sweet - surely they can just as easily trace back to the source of all this shit and put some people in jail until the rest get the message?

ETA: Errant 'at sign' in header - don't know how to correct it.

Is this to a manx.net address or one of your other domains?

MT SPAM filters are not great.

Your manxmultimedia.com email is delivered to MT eBiz. If you want to cut SPAM to that then I would get an IT person to spend half an hour setting up and routing inbound email through a good online SPAM filter for about £50 per annum for five mailboxes. The email will then be passed on to your eBiz mailboxes minus the junk.

If it is your manx.net address then you can't change where inbound email is delivered to. A workstation based antivirus/antispam product that will check inbound emails, like BitDefender Internet Security 2016: http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/ £35 per annum per PC

I seem to get spam emails at a ratio of about 10 (spam):1 (legit) and it really pisses me off. Couple of questions for you elite experts (I'm using Outlook 2007 and W10):

1. I tend to 'add to blocked senders' any spam before deleting, but I'm getting the same emails from different addresses, so is it even worth trying to block them?

2. Is it correct that unsubscibing from spam is counter-productive (i.e. it proves your addy is live)

3. Given that the septics can zap a small target in a town square with an RC drone from 4000 miles away, why the fuck isn't the IT industry working harder to zap spammers? They must cost industry billions, clog the internet, wreck systems and generally piss billions of people off. I'm sure if I joined the Jimmy Savile fan club online, I'd have a visit from some men in black pretty toot sweet - surely they can just as easily trace back to the source of all this shit and put some people in jail until the rest get the message?

ETA: Errant 'at sign' in header - don't know how to correct it.

1) No

2) Yes

3) They are

Others have said MT is rubbish, FWIW I run my own e-mail server (MailEnable, Windows 2012 server) and get ~5% SPAM. Check the options available with your mail server's host.

I have found that Gmail seems to be pretty good at filtering spam. I used to get tons when I used my ISPs mail facility, and Gmail lets you use the same email address regardless of which ISP you are with. You do have to peep at your junk mail folder every so often to check that it is all crap.

Also, I would be pretty sure from the advertising pop ups that I see that Google is running my mail past its algorithms to 'give me the adverts that I want to see"!

Guzzi,

Google is targeting adverts based on your browsing history and some companies target you based on what you've viewed on their websites - Amazon does this.

There are some very clever algorithms at play.

FWIW I run my own e-mail server (MailEnable, Windows 2012 server) and get ~5% SPAM. Check the options available with your mail server's host.

You are so awesome

Just a hardened professional sweetie.

xxx

I have found that Gmail seems to be pretty good at filtering spam. I used to get tons when I used my ISPs mail facility, and Gmail lets you use the same email address regardless of which ISP you are with. You do have to peep at your junk mail folder every so often to check that it is all crap.

Also, I would be pretty sure from the advertising pop ups that I see that Google is running my mail past its algorithms to 'give me the adverts that I want to see"!

whereas if you run adblocker, popup blockers and cookie protection you are blissfully aware :lol:

whereas if you run adblocker, popup blockers and cookie protection you are blissfully aware laugh.png

Yes, I've tried them The trouble is that every so often, they get in the way or even hang sites that use pop-ups. I'm not that bothered by the ads, so I prefer just to ignore them.

• 4 months later...

don't respond to this one supposedly from Manx telecom

Dear Customer,

It has come to our attention that your account Billing Information records are out of date. That requires you to update your Billing Information. Failure to update your records will result in account termination.

Click on the reference link below and enter your login information on the following page to confirm your Billing Information records...

Click on https://myaccount.manxtelecom.com/account/Login to confirm your Billing Information records.

Thanks,
Manx Telecom Customer Support
btm.gif
© Manx Telecom Trading Ltd 2016. Manx Telecom, Isle of Man Business Park, Cooil Road, Braddan, Isle of Man IM991HX.

Subject: Update Your Manx Telecom Billing Information
To: Recipients <aldholmi@uwm.edu>

and Manx Telecom don't seem to list an email address you can forward suspect phishing scams to, just a contact form sad.png

Archived