Apple vs FBI/CIA

cheeky boy

It's all big PR stunt. Apple want us to think they're the hottest company for protecting our data. At the same time, what Apple are refusing is to allow a backdoor to all customers' data. It isn't about this one terrorist. The Government will already have the data they want, Apple will install a backdoor (as they and other companies already do) to allow access despite all the hot air about refusing to do it.

I'm no techie, but there are hundreds of sites online explaining how to unlock an iPhone

can someone explain why the US security agencies cannot open the phone of the Californian shootings bloke ?

Those sites are about how to unlock a phone in the sense of making it network free - eg you have a Vodafone iPhone and you want to put a Sure SIM in it. That's different from accessing the contents of a specific phone.

In the past 24 hours there has been an interesting update to this story:

The Apple ID passcode linked to the iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino terrorists was changed less than 24 hours after the government took possession of the device, senior Apple executives said Friday. If that hadn’t happened, Apple said, a backup of the information the government was seeking may have been accessible

The U.S. Government do what they like so legislation will be changed soon

But to what end? Encryption will remain freely and legally available. Terrorists will simply adopt other methods.

There is also a clear conflict here between home and foreign policy. Internationally encryption and strong security is promoted by the State Dept as a tool of resistance to tyranny. Meanwhile:

Former NSA Chief sides with Apple - "Jim Comey is wrong" (Fortune)

Google and WhatsApp back Apple in FBI encryption fight (Financial Times)

The U.S. Government do what they like so legislation will be changed soon

But to what end? Encryption will remain freely and legally available. Terrorists will simply adopt other methods.

There is also a clear conflict here between home and foreign policy. Internationally encryption and strong security is promoted by the State Dept as a tool of resistance to tyranny. Meanwhile:

Former NSA Chief sides with Apple - "Jim Comey is wrong" (Fortune)

Google and WhatsApp back Apple in FBI encryption fight (Financial Times)

This isn't necessarily about targeting terrorists. If you really have something to hide and the sophisticated means to go about it then you can always keep pushing the encryption envelope. This about total control, lawfully, over the majority of the population who are just going about their business.

White person(s) shoot up a load of people, gets arrested and sent to jail...lone wolf/mentally unstable

Non-white person(s) shoot up a load of people, gets shot (a lot)...terrorist and part of major cell

WTuvgHw.png

The Truth is what it is...

I have been following this. And I agree with apple.

It comes down to freedom and freedom from Government "tyranny".

An American on another forum I read said he agreed with Apple, because it infringes on the 5th. The right to not self incriminate.

I said no. I said it goes back to the first.

It's all about individual freedom. As I see it, if I decided to design a mobile phone that is encrypted that can't be hacked, and I decide to market it as such and charge big money, then it is my right to do so. If I decide to add some self destruct code, it is my right to do so. I want to make money, so I want to work hard to design a secure product. The criminal hackers will try to hack it, but I will spend billions to keep ahead of them.

Then the Government come along, and they say "open this phone". "erm...nope...we designed it so you can't open it. sorry"

Apple are totally correct on this. And I am anti Apple.

If the Government want to be able to open any phone, then they need to ban encryption and security features.

If they impose that law upon the designers, then they have crossed the line. If Apple open that phone (if they can), just that one phone, then destroy the code, that opens the floodgates. "MY PHONE IS NOT SECURE... SUE SUE SUE !!"

But there is always a grey area, This for example:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-11479831

A suspected pedo is jailed for not telling Police his password. Right or wrong. I don't know.

But what I do believe, is that we have to right to encryption. It might be photos of an orgy I went to (dont want the wife to see them), it might be the passwords to my email and forum accounts.

My information. My life is mine.

Elected Government has no right to crack that open.

(edited:spelling)

Archived