Port Soderick - Sold

slinkydevil

It was rumoured at the time that the grant schemes were so complex and difficult to access that the only people who actually qualified for them were the Corkills.  Looking at the current information on what tourism grants are available, I can't help  noticing that most of the industry is excluded:

The Financial Assistance Scheme (FAS) aims to encourage diversification of the economy by improving the visitor experience through encouraging existing businesses to adopt new technologies and practices and to encourage new businesses to develop on the Island. The FAS is discretionary and can offer a generous package of support to qualifying businesses. The scheme does not include Self Catering accommodation properties and those properties with six bed spaces or less[1].

I suspect this translates into "We're only here to give money to the Sefton".  Not of course that the DED has ever kept to its own rules when the right people come knocking.  Of course if Howie wants to build some more holiday cottages, everything might change.

So on paper it looks like the Port Soderick development wouldn't get anything, but you never know.  I suspect in any case the talk of self-catering accommodation is more to do with softening the switch to residential rather than anything else.

[1]  Yes I know it should be fewer.  This is the DED - why should their grasp on grammar be any better than their grasp of reality.

On 5/26/2017 at 5:53 AM, Gladys said:

Apparently, 'they' (not sure who exactly) are looking for volunteers to help clear out the old amusements arcade. People down there yesterday together with a 3fm van. 

All a bit of a garbled story, but does anyone know what is going on there?

the new owner of the site is donating use of the old arcade building to the local wing of the charity "Heroes on the Water" which helps service veterans (both armed services and emergency service personnel injured in the line of duty) get into kayaking and kayak fishing as part of rehabilitation etc.  the owner has pledged to help with the renovation of the arcade with the plan to eventually have toilets/shower/disabled facilities, kayak storage etc. within this building... fix up the jetty so the charity can use it for the launching of the kayaks and for their safety boats.

I have been told that the plan for the hotel site will be 3-4 holiday let houses with full disabled access and lifts etc.

I have kayaked with these guys and have seen the work they do for the vets - watching some of the guys getting the freedom kayaking brings and getting them out of their wheelchairs for a few hours is superb! its a great but little known charity and the fact that a local landowner is willing to assist and work with them is fantastic.

the work party you saw down there was a group of vets and volounteers helping to clear out the rubble from when the old roof collapsed so the renovation works can begin.

hope this answers your question 

at the end of the day as far as i'm concerned anything down there will be an improvement and hopefully if the holiday lets get used and there are people down there regularly it may discourage the scrotes from using it as a place to get pissed and trash!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, quayler said:

the new owner of the site is donating use of the old arcade building to the local wing of the charity "Heroes on the Water" which helps service veterans (both armed services and emergency service personnel injured in the line of duty) get into kayaking and kayak fishing as part of rehabilitation etc.  the owner has pledged to help with the renovation of the arcade with the plan to eventually have toilets/shower/disabled facilities, kayak storage etc. within this building... fix up the jetty so the charity can use it for the launching of the kayaks and for their safety boats.

I have been told that the plan for the hotel site will be 3-4 holiday let houses with full disabled access and lifts etc.

I have kayaked with these guys and have seen the work they do for the vets - watching some of the guys getting the freedom kayaking brings and getting them out of their wheelchairs for a few hours is superb! its a great but little known charity and the fact that a local landowner is willing to assist and work with them is fantastic.

the work party you saw down there was a group of vets and volounteers helping to clear out the rubble from when the old roof collapsed so the renovation works can begin.

hope this answers your question 

at the end of the day as far as i'm concerned anything down there will be an improvement and hopefully if the holiday lets get used and there are people down there regularly it may discourage the scrotes from using it as a place to get pissed and trash!

Will it have any effect on the doggers?

Guest MrFunk

Quayler don't go dragging ManxForums down with your facts!

I've been kayak fishing out of Port Soderick for a long time and have spoken with the land owner on occasion, usually when when he's trying to find out what the fishing is like around there or to tell me I'm OK to bring the car down when loading up (I must be one of the few that actually don't drive down).  I think in general what they are planning is brilliant all be it with the issues of how difficult it is to launch outside of the 2 hours around high water window - that'll definitely need sorting and possibly a little more than tidying up the pier.  From a strictly personal point of view my only real concern is seeing a massive gate making it more difficult for other people who currently launch from there being able to continue to do so.  

oops sorry have i got the wrong end of the stick :P didn't realise producing facts and helping people was going against the grain, next time i'll spout shite and rumors to try and fit in :D lol

from what i hear i don't think there are any plans to limit access in anyway, the guy is just generally trying to tidy up his drive/back garden of booze cans, litter and dog shit, help out a local charity and probably make a few quid by venturing into the holiday let business in the process, he's got to recoup the cost of buying the port somehow... i think its one of them where we just have to sit back and see what happens but i think its going to be a positive thing for the area.

• Like 3