Mid-Summer Night's Dream

Chinahand

I'd really been looking forward to the BBC's production of A Mid-Summer Night's Dream, but my goodness was I disappointed by it.

Having Theseus as a cruel dictator added nothing to the story and simply got in the way of the humour. It's meant to be a farcical comedy. Why try to make it sinister?

The humour was flat, the setting got in the way of the story and the modern additions were superfluous and gimmicky. Such a shame.

I'd hoped Matt Lucas would make a perfect Bottom, but no, the end result was highly disappointing.

Shame.

Absolute crap wasn't it. Been looking forward to this but easily the worst MSND I've ever seen. Was Damien Hirst the director by any chance ? It certainly looked like it. You have to ask just how did it get so far as to transmission stage and why wasn't it pulled before it even got past pre-production and rehearsals ? But did you notice how wonderfully modern and multi-cultural it was ? Hardly any Shakespeare in it at all. I hope the critics give it the good pasting it deserves this morning.

Archived