TT Blues

woody2

J2O:

'There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing'. Aristotle.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” Theodore Roosevelt

Don't tell us , you have also been a Book Critic. How long did that ' career ' last ?

A couple more active brain cells and your synapses would have fired to reveal that both quotes are dismissive of critics.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mostly enjoyed it - thought it showed the event, our cops and island in a good light, but the technical quality was Handycams in the hands of interns level, presumably with no budget for proper editing or colour correction which made it look dull and grainy with bad continuity (as mentioned earlier, possibly only locals would notice that though).

OMG, don't tell us ? - In the past you have also been a Film Producer. Incredible.

Nope, never shot on film. Have written, shot, directed and/or produced numerous broadcast TV programmes and corporate videos though. I know it grates on you that I've achieved lots of things in life, sadly I don't know how little you've achieved to be able to compare (although I can guess).

Woody2 - any port in a shitstorm eh? How predictable.

Used to be the case that people who had tried endless different jobs , were thought of as ' master of none ' . In reference to my Job or the inflated ' career ' ( as insecure people call it these days ) I managed to survive in one job for 45 years. I was not, and never aspired to be the Top Man , but I was good enough to hold that job down all my working life , mostly happily . I consider myself one of the lucky ones. Paid ALL my Taxes and stamps, and have no guilt about the Pension I receive . I think I earned it.

Bit harsh Maxie, although you may be right, insofar as I've had many jobs and it's for others who know me to declare me "master of none"laugh.png .

That said I would argue that it wasn't a case of not being able to "hold a job down" more that I didn't know what I wanted to do in life (and still don'tlaugh.png ) and was 'curious'.

I did some jobs I wasn't keen on but I took the view that any job was better than depending on the' state' , although now I'm retired I do get the basic State Pension (but wouldn't be entirely surprised if that didn't last for ever) .

J2O:

'There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing'. Aristotle.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” Theodore Roosevelt

You felt somehow able to critic this show, and based on your form, you can't do better so shut up.

J2O:

You felt somehow able to critic this show, and based on your form, you can't do better so shut up.

I see this "if you can't do better then don't criticise" bollocks all the time on the internet. It's equal parts stupid and ridiculous.

• 1 year later...

..............what do folks think of the little statement in the examiner today saying that Italian Motorcycle Federation has banned any of it's motorcycle racers from competing on public road courses............. including the TT and MGP................

Archived