Faster YouTube upload options?

I upload a modest amount of content to YouTube and currently have a standard landline based ADSL connection via Sure. This gives a rather jumpy 0.6 Megabit upload speed and necessitates a computer being left on overnight grinding away to upload a typical group of videos. It's also notable that anything that is over 30 minutes long always fails to upload, but only after grinding all night and often into the next day too.

Having been thoroughly spoiled by a 50 Mbps up and download speed in recent work accommodation I've decided that it would be much easier to look for an alternative faster service.

I checked with Sure who said that where I was located didn't offer a faster upload option.

Pay as you go 4G data is limited to half a gig per day which is not even one 10 minute video.

4G contract data allowance would be gone well within each month.

Bluewave's recent customer service has not inspired confidence.

What do you think is the best option? Keep grinding away on standard ADSL? It means that I can't upgrade the resolution of my videos beyond 720P and 30FPS as the bandwidth isn't there to support it. I'm wary of pre-compressing my videos as it could get double compressed by YouTube and make a mess.

Live streaming is also ruled out as the Sure connection can't even handle a voice-only Skype call without garbling it to the point of hanging up.

Have you considered VDSL2? Though, where I am in Ramsey doesn't get great speeds 20-32 down, I get 23, and 1 meg or so up. However, I've seen up to 80/20 nearer the exchanges. I'm fairly certain all of Ramsey is covered by it now.

Bluewave I've really not heard great things about, especially more recently. I think it was an ambitious venture, and Wimanx dialed back their wireless offering long before Bluewave started.

Sure do 10 gig for £20 quid a month, but obviously, that's easily going to get pricey. They used to do unlimited for PAYG, the 4g 500mb cap didn't work at the time they first moved to 4g. 50 down 50 up...they dropped it to 10 gig a month a month later.

Your best data rate might be acheived using tech such as IPoAC (IP over Avian Carriers), the carrier pigeon model is reasonably reliable, seagull tier less so, or on a slightly more serious note, sending a USB stick filled with videos to someone with a high upload speed. Theoretically would allow for a significantly better data rate dependent on the Manx post.

Other option may be a VPS to upload the video to in 7zipped chunks, combine and upload from there, means any failures can be confined to a smaller amount of time/effort. A decent VPS will often have a gigabit or better connection, so wouldn't add much delay but combat some of the reliability issues.

I was spoilt when living on campus at University, they've got multiple 40gbps connections coming in and had 100/100 or gigabit connections in all residences...

Sure mentioned something about a faster service, but it was only really an improved download speed. I think I may end up staying with my existing approach of leaving videos to grind slowly up to YouTube overnight.

Sure mentioned something about a faster service, but it was only really an improved download speed. I think I may end up staying with my existing approach of leaving videos to grind slowly up to YouTube overnight.

Well you can get a faster upload but how much extra do you want to pay?

You could get SDSL but that requires a dedicated line and tops out at 2mbps

I did look into it and theoretically, you'd be able to reverse the allocation so that you have more up bandwidth at the expense of down bandwidth. However, due to the way the DSLAM and crosstalk happaens at the exchange end, it isn't possible sadly

According to their website, hardwired fibre is £100 a month with Bluewave for 100 down/10 up. They may be able to offer something with less download for greater upload, but their customer service/technical prowess seems to be struggling

SDSL is no longer available on the Island.

Unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount of money which I'm guessing you don't Then DSL is your only option. It's worth checking the link Immortal Puppet mentioned with your landline to see what estimated speeds/services are available. VDSL will give you a better upload speed if it's available in your property.

Could you use Sure's 4G service only for uploading videos to conserve your bandwidth and keep your ADSL for everything else?

Depending on how much you upload you might be able to get away with their 100GB tariff. Or one of the cheaper ones.

I recently borrowed a 4G router and I was getting much better speed tests, but it did drop to 3G at one point, and I couldn't get Amazon prime videos to even load on my TV, but I only borrowed it for one night so further testing is required.

Archived