Ray Donovan

quilp

Been watching this series from the beginning and I'm hooked. Fast moving, authentic, plenty of side plots and intelligent characterization, especially from Liev Schreiber, playing Donovan and John Voight who plays Donovan's sociopathic father, Mickey, to a tee. Lots of old stars turning up throughout the series, one excellent portrayal, by Ian McShane playing the role at which he excels- a scoundrel, in this case a closet gay scoundrel. James Woods also grandly appears playing a vengeful psychopathic mobster with ease.

It probably won't be everyone's cup of Yorkshire but I'm glued.

Fabulous drama - I hate to admit it but the septics are great at this kind of thing. Every episode has half a dozen sub-plots and subtle humour, it's like a Greek tragedy set in Hollywood.

I nearly gave up on it this season, the Marisol storyline wasn't interesting and the Sonia stuff was so disjointed and contrived that it was a trudge to get through. It's got much better though, I think I'm one episode behind live which I'll catch up on over weekend.

Would have liked to have seen more of "The Texan" though, seeing some of the dark Ezra work could have been interesting.

Rushed finale. We were from "You're fucked Ray" to conclusion in way too short a narrative time. Also, their "plan" to rid themselves of the Russians was basically killing them, which wasn't a very elaborate caper at all.

Abi's cancer was just meekly fixed, almost as an afterthought when the writers realised they didn't want to kill off the character.

That scene in the gym where he's rallying his family was the cheesiest minute of any episode too. It just need them all to come together for a Team Donovan high five to cap it off. Ugh.

I'll watch S5, mostly because Schneider is menacingly great, but this season was a lot more miss than hit.

• 4 weeks later...

So after Ray Donovan the choice has been the Sky box set series, 'Braquo'. Set in Paris, an unconventional crime squad. Subtitled but very easy to follow. Watched all 3 series over the week. Nice to be able to do that.

Department Q looked ok too.

Archived