Government canteens lose shit loads of money

BossHogg

It's hard to believe that they can lose over half a million quid running a few government eateries

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/govt-catering-servicers-loses-more-than-600000/

I accept that the hospital probably supplies food to patients at a loss as it has to. But my question really is that if government workers using the hospital and government canteen are receiving subsidised food (which it must be if it's supplied at a massive loss) is this not a benefit in kind? Everyone else has to pay full price for their food even if it's just an M&S sandwich. It seems that the IOM is still a throwback to the times of On The Buses where 'the workers' had a staff canteen that would give them sausage egg and chips for 2p as a perk.

It just seems wrong to lose so much feeding people you employ when everyone else has to pay the going rate to eat at work. Interestingly Nobles coffee shop (which is privately run) makes over three hundred grand a year; presumably to subsidise the massive losses made elsewhere feeding government workers. So they do know how to make a profit out of everyone else!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they took it in house when they realised how profitable it could be, hence the situation with the shop.

Shame then that the £300k they make still means they lose £600k elsewhere feeding the faces of public sector workers at a loss. If they didn't have that to offset they'd be losing £900k a year.

What makes you say Nobles coffee shop is privately run?

Because it was put out to tender. The Alpine Cafe people used to run it and before that it was Spill the Beans. Not sure who has it now.

I don't think that is correct.

How did they make 334k if someone else has it? You are not going to find a private entity running it for the benefit of the government.

Also I'm not sure how you would conclude staff are getting a benefit in kind.

Private sector gives meal vouchers. Also I'm out for a fat lunch tomorrow with a client . Oh and tomorrow night. I'm being fed at the employers expense. That isn't a benefit in kind either.

What makes you say Nobles coffee shop is privately run?

Because it was put out to tender. The Alpine Cafe people used to run it and before that it was Spill the Beans. Not sure who has it now.

I don't think that is correct.

How did they make 334k if someone else has it? You are not going to find a private entity running it for the benefit of the government.

Also I'm not sure how you would conclude staff are getting a benefit in kind.

Private sector gives meal vouchers. Also I'm out for a fat lunch tomorrow with a client . Oh and tomorrow night. I'm being fed at the employers expense. That isn't a benefit in kind either.

Your employer can spend what they like. It's their money. With government its taxpayers money that's being wasted. Which is my money which is why I'm entitled to have a view on it as I'm subsidizing them.

Don't visitors eat in the staff restaurant? I have.

I have no idea you tell me as you seem to be the forum expert on most things. I think it's a perfectly valid question to ask when it seems to be costing £600k a year for government workers to stuff their faces. A staff canteen is a staff canteen isn't it? Or should family, friends, and associates of government workers get a free ride too?

You seem to be the forum "going off half coked like a cunt" guru.

Like I've said - I have eaten in there before and I think visitors who are spending longer amounts of time at the hospital over extended periods eat in there because it provides full meals rather than just the basic cakes and sandwiches at the thie bee cafe.

You seem to be the forum "going off half coked like a cunt" guru.

Like I've said - I have eaten in there before and I think visitors who are spending longer amounts of time at the hospital over extended periods eat in there because it provides full meals rather than just the basic cakes and sandwiches at the thie bee cafe.

It's definitely a benefit in kind then if they let do other people eat in there as well as government workers; under the tax offices own rules:

As are meal vouchers and subsidized food for everyone else.

https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/benefit-in-kind/meals/

No point in having any debate on here as your clearly a know (fuck) all on most subjects.

Move along here a £600k taxpayer loss clearly isn't even worth debating.

Archived