Government canteens lose shit loads of money

BossHogg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Private sector gives meal vouchers.

Which are a benefit in kind ... hence my point.
Not necessarily at all. Read the rules.

They'll cover the hospital etc too. No problem

The rules are above

Vouchers are taxable in most circumstances

Staff canteens are taxable in most circumstances

Canteen's have to be exclusive to employees in order to potentially be exempt

So I assume the government breaks its own rules and the food should be a benefit in kind if it's subsidized, and if you paid to eat in there and you're not a worker

You seem to be the forum "going off half coked like a cunt" guru.

Like I've said - I have eaten in there before and I think visitors who are spending longer amounts of time at the hospital over extended periods eat in there because it provides full meals rather than just the basic cakes and sandwiches at the thie bee cafe.

It's definitely a benefit in kind then if they let do other people eat in there as well as government workers; under the tax offices own rules:

As are meal vouchers and subsidized food for everyone else.

https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/benefit-in-kind/meals/

No point in having any debate on here as your clearly a know (fuck) all on most subjects.

Move along here a £600k taxpayer loss clearly isn't even worth debating.

You are the one that clearly knows fuck all.

Shooting your mouth off as usual without any real understanding of what is going on. Wrong so far on the thie bee cafe and now subsidised meals.

400 a quid a year on meal subsidy isn't classed as a benefit in kind. A company can use 400 quid multiplied by the number of employees. No paperwork needed.

The public use the restaurant too.

It simply isn't the case that you make out.

https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/benefit-in-kind/

Clearly stated at 400 quid.

In fact if you read the pdf on it section 9 actually states a Staff Canteen can be completely exempt.

CAN be exempt

You quote the rules from that PDF as one of the main criteria is that the facility is exclusively for workers which you have already said the governments isn't as you yourself have eaten there and I assume you don't work for hospital or IOMG.

Also on vouchers I know I spend a lot more than £400 a year eating at work so vouchers would still be a benefit in kind. At £5 a day for a sandwich and a drink that's only 80 working days a year that would be under the limit.

I said I thought I ate in there. To be fair it could have been separate in there. Long time ago.

It's clear they don't get a benefit in kind. I'm amazed you have such a bee in your bonnet about it.

Also, how do you apportion the meal cost as being below the cost it could or should be? If you trebled the price of a plates of chips in there (to a disproportionate price) and it still appeared to lose money are people getting subsidised meal?

https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/benefit-in-kind/

Clearly stated at 400 quid.

In fact if you read the pdf on it section 9 actually states a Staff Canteen can be completely exempt.

CAN be exempt

You quote the rules from that PDF as one of the main criteria is that the facility is exclusively for workers which you have already said the governments isn't as you yourself have eaten there and I assume you don't work for hospital or IOMG.

It also says if the food is free it CAN be exempt which the food in IOMG canteens isn't.

Also on vouchers I know I spend a lot more than £400 a year eating at work so vouchers would still be a benefit in kind. At £5 a day for a sandwich and a drink that's only 80 working days a year that would be under the limit.

There are about 220 days in a working year.

If a company has 100 employees it has an allowance of £40000 per annum to distribute as it likes if it was operating a meal voucher subsidy (as I know a coupLe do or certainly did).

They can distribute how they like really within that. No questions asked.

I said I thought I ate in there. To be fair it could have been separate in there. Long time ago.

So your memory fails you now that you might be wrong?

From your link

9.6 Staff Canteen

Free or subsidised meals provided in a staff canteen are not charged as a benefit in kind as long as the following conditions apply:

- the meals must be provided on a reasonable scale

- the provision of fine wines, elaborate menus etc is unreasonable and should be charged as a benefit in kind

- the canteen must NOT be open to the general public

- all employees should have access to the canteen

So if, as a member of the general public, you have eaten there then you have killed your own argument.

Pie and Chips, peas and gravy... £5 with drink.

An average main course would be around £3 then rice/chips/veg on top.

Breakfast deal, five items and a brew ...£2.90(?).

Tea, coffee ...70p.

Cans/bottles ...from 80p.

Sarnies start around £1.95, pre-packed, and up to £3.50 for made to order.

The portions are I suppose, 'adequate' and nothing to write home about. It is not exactly Gordon Ramsey level.

Subsidized? Not really...

Pie and Chips, peas and gravy... £5 with drink.

An average main course would be around £3 then rice/chips/veg on top.

Breakfast deal, five items and a brew ...£2.90(?).

Tea, coffee ...70p.

Cans/bottles ...from 80p.

Sarnies start around £1.95, pre-packed, and up to £3.50 for made to order.

The portions are I suppose, 'adequate' and nothing to write home about. It is not exactly Gordon Ramsey level.

Subsidized? Not really...

Loses £600k a year so subsidised YES absolutely.

Archived