Government canteens lose shit loads of money

BossHogg

This is where the 2015-16 Pink Book was...but it's now gone.

http://www.gov.im/media/1031671/pink_book_2014-15.pdf

However...I have uploaded a copy for you here smile.png

attachicon.gifbudget-2014-15.pdf

Thanks Albert. Unfortunately the change in how catering services were reorganised happened so late and so quickly that it was pushed through the month after the 2014-15 Budget[1], so there are no estimates for it in the February Budget. The costings for catering will be hidden away in the figures for individual Departments. There should be some figures in the 2015-16 Budget, but that has gone missing as well.

All have are the figures from this year's Budget for Government Catering Services:

Net Actual 2014-15: £ 751,000
Net Probable 2015-16: £ 2,343,000
Gross Spend 2016-17: £ 6,383,000
Gross Income 2016-17: £ 4,894,000
Net 2016-17: £ 1,489,000
So costs actually soared in the second year of centralisation (you'd normally expect them to drop because of set-up costs in the first year).

[1] This was just before Mark Charters' appointment, so it can't be blamed on that convenient scapegoat. Indeed it looks more like a pet plan being pushed through during a power vacuum before a competent new CEO was appointed who might point out the flaws. Of course they didn't get a competent new CEO, but they weren't know that.

This smacks of a Treasury initiative.....

Q: who was the CEO in Treasury at the time?

A: the incumbent DHSC CEO!!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people in business just bring/buy a butty at lunchtime.

Why can't the bulk of government staff do that too? They also need to restrict when and which staff can actually use it, and who they bring in with them.

I can understand hospital shift workers needing evening meals and breakfasts, but the rest of them are just taking the piss.

I can sort of understand why there is a canteen at Nobles. It's relatively remote for staff to be able to pop out at lunchtime, patient's relatives can use it and there should be synergies with patient's food.

But why the hell is there still a loss making canteen in Government Offices?

It's a throwback to the days where Tynpotwalders had a self delusional sense of entitlement. The question now to be posed is either it's privatised or put out to tender - not given to one of their mates to run! I don't think they have the stomach for this. The canteen could be reused as office space! Tynpotwald management can install drink and snack vending machines - if it's not profitable then give them a small kitchen and a kettle - like other offices manage. If they want lunch - Newsbeat do excellent sausage baps and sandwiches.

The Isle of Man College/university refractory provisions need addressing - money pits!

Ask yourself where Tynwald members go for their lunch.

Tynpotwalders need to be supporting their local sandwich shops and coffee houses. People's livelihoods depend on their patronage - besides there's a coffee shop shortage in central Douglas. If you follow Lord Lisvanes report, MLCs won't have much of an opportunity to frequent Government Offices on a daily basis, due to a diminished workload and pay packet.

I can sort of understand why there is a canteen at Nobles. It's relatively remote for staff to be able to pop out at lunchtime, patient's relatives can use it and there should be synergies with patient's food.

It's a throwback to the days where Tynpotwalders had a self delusional sense of entitlement. The question now to be posed is either it's privatised or put out to tender - not given to one of their mates to run! I don't think they have the stomach for this. The canteen could be reused as office space! Tynpotwald management can install drink and snack vending machines - if it's not profitable then give them a small kitchen and a kettle - like other offices manage. If they want lunch - Newsbeat do excellent sausage baps and sandwiches.

The Isle of Man College/university refractory provisions need addressing - money pits!

This thread has really annoyed me. What's wrong with a kettle and a fucking pot noodle which is what most people seem to get by on without dying an Ethiopian death of starvation. Wasteful bunch of twats pissing money up the wall on practices that died out 30 years ago. The government canteen is just school dinners for tight wads.

I think at one time Government workers used to,often have a small kettle or the cup heaters and I'm sure they were banned from using them in the office due to insurance risks etc. I'm sure someone can confirm this

I imagine that's true. Most of them are such complete halfwits that giving them access to a kettle might lead to third degree burns or someone burning the entire building down.

I think at one time Government workers used to,often have a small kettle or the cup heaters and I'm sure they were banned from using them in the office due to insurance risks etc. I'm sure someone can confirm this

There has in the past been drinks vending machines both hot and cold, don't know if they are there? I have worked in places where there's always someone enterprising who buys canned drinks and chocolate bars in bulk and sells them........ little cottage industry!

I imagine that's true. Most of them are such complete halfwits that giving them access to a kettle might lead to third degree burns or someone burning the entire building down.

I'm sure Government will do a full day training course on how to use kettles etc

I'm sure Government will do a full day training course on how to use kettles etc

With £1800 a day external consultants no doubt.

Archived