Government canteens lose shit loads of money

BossHogg

Without knowing what the budgeted cost was, the over spend is meaningless.

Interestingly, the Health budget was voted an extra 9mil earlier this year. The implication is that this was for 'medical provision', did it include this and other non-medical overspends? To what extent?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The average UK High Street independent coffee shop turns over around £200k p.a. I know the Noble's operation has a high footfall but even so I find a PROFIT of £334k staggering. Unless they pay no rent, energy, cleaning costs or wages and have all their stock supplied FOC.

Not for the first time a thread is being derailed by notwell's usual insistence on picking a fight on something irrelevant based on nothing more than his belief in his own omniscience.

Er..........it is not the first time I've picked someone up on some piss poor rant without that person having any real idea on the underlying numbers and how they are constructed.

Then his rant turned into some ridiculous bullshit around taxable benefits in kind. You couldn't make it up.

The figures are not easy to understand and it is just so weak to continually just slag off someone or anyone working for government.

The average UK High Street independent coffee shop turns over around £200k p.a. I know the Noble's operation has a high footfall but even so I find a PROFIT of £334k staggering. Unless they pay no rent, energy, cleaning costs or wages and have all their stock supplied FOC.

Stu. Despite your position at our esteemed national broadcaster, you clearly have no idea of how the government does its sums. Clue: It's nothing like anyone in business does them.

What a bizarre thread. I can understand those saying it isn't subsidised, seeing as the meals seem to be comparably priced with what the private sector can provide. It doesn't surprise me. I can well believe that the government loses millions competing with the private sector with similar selling prices to those on which the private sector can actually turn a profit.

So why do it? Surely the answer is to shut the whole lot down where it is in Central Douglas and allow private business to provide. In locations where facilities have to be provided such as at Nobles, they should be put out to tender. We avoid the loss and the businesses taking up the slack will increase their profits and a share of that will find its way back to government in taxes and NI. A win win.

What possible argument could there be not to do this?

Possibly no rent (all same cost centre?) and almost certainly no energy and cleaning (difficult to split). Wages and supplies should be split, but it's not a high-paying profession and mark-up percentages are enormous - partly to cover high fixed overheads in a normal coffee shop.

But with marginal costs so low, every extra item becomes mostly profit. In addition if you have long opening hours[1] and a large number of potential customers with not much else to but sit round and wait[2], then it looks a lot more plausible.

However the intention of the coffee shop being run internally is surely that any profits should be going to subsidise the hospital, not the staff canteen.

[1] 7 days a week from 8am to 7pm, which reduces notwell's estimate to about £1.40 a minute profit.

[2] I suspect they also sell a lot of takeaways to staff as well.

We really need to consider bringing in a law classing gravy as a class C drug.

It's costing society a fortune, euphoria at government retirement parties, people in their 40s retiring laughing all the way to the bank, leaving the other 60% of the population paying for it.

Gravy! Hey... Just say 'no' kids.

What makes you say Nobles coffee shop is privately run?

Because it was put out to tender. The Alpine Cafe people used to run it and before that it was Spill the Beans. Not sure who has it now.
I don't think that is correct.

How did they make 334k if someone else has it? You are not going to find a private entity running it for the benefit of the government.

Also I'm not sure how you would conclude staff are getting a benefit in kind.

Private sector gives meal vouchers. Also I'm out for a fat lunch tomorrow with a client . Oh and tomorrow night. I'm being fed at the employers expense. That isn't a benefit in kind either.

I'm private sector. Where are my "meal vouchers"?????? As usual, you type from your rear end. The staff canteen (as in Government HQ, Prospect Hill) has for a long time offered reduced prices and therefore publicly subsidised meals to civil servants. As if these overpaid spongers can't afford to pay real prices.

Without knowing what the budgeted cost was, the over spend is meaningless.

I've spent a bit of time trying to find out what the budgeted cost actually was, but the 2015-16 Pink Book seems to have disappeared completely from the government website. Only the latest year is on the Treasury page and previous years only have a press release with no data. There's no link from the Tynwald Hansard and even links from external sites (such as MF) are dead. It's extremely puzzling and very worrying if deliberate. There's nothing on the information centre either

Archived