So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

I'd just like the pound to be worth something again against the Euro... my entire life plan right now is slack until i've saved money, and then buy a place in a cheap country with my pounds that are worth tons. I have a sneaking feeling everything has backfired on me. :P

I'd just like the pound to be worth something again against the Euro... my entire life plan right now is slack until i've saved money, and then buy a place in a cheap country with my pounds that are worth tons. I have a sneaking feeling everything has backfired on me. tongue.png

Bloody economic migrants...

I'd just like the pound to be worth something again against the Euro

What do you mean again? 85 centimes is roughly the 10 year average.

But the facts don't fit with the narrative that many people have built in their minds about how far things have fallen since the Brexit vote.

• Like 2

the new 35% import tax on german cars to the states is going to hurt, i wonder how many jobs will move into the uk.......

None as it will probably cost £1bn to re-tool a whole BMW assembly line in the UK.

the new 35% import tax on german cars to the states is going to hurt, i wonder how many jobs will move into the uk.......

Isn't it more likely that, for example, BMW in the USA would start manufacturing vehicles for the US market. Currently US built models go for export.

The downside for US jobs would be if the countries where those US manufactured exports go introduce reciprocal tariffs on US exports. Or if BMW in the US scales back export production and cuts jobs.

BMW employs 8000 workers at its US plant.

I come in peace, not looking for an argument, name calling or a fight.

The news is full of Trump's planning budget but it mainly seems to be concerned with increased defence spending, I couldn't find anything about import taxes. Trump did hint at such taxes before he was elected so such taxes are probably likely and I'm genuinely interested in reading more about this, could you please tell me where did you read it?

EDIT - I found it - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-germany-autos-idUSKBN1500VJ

Edited by mojomonkey

Isn't it more likely that, for example, BMW in the USA would start manufacturing vehicles for the US market. Currently US built models go for export.

The downside for US jobs would be if the countries where those US manufactured exports go introduce reciprocal tariffs on US exports. Or if BMW in the US scales back export production and cuts jobs.

BMW employs 8000 workers at its US plant.

there is a good market for the mini and range rovers in the USA due to them been built in britain, if germany wishes to start a trade war then the uk would gain

there is a good market for the mini and range rovers in the USA due to them been built in britain, if germany wishes to start a trade war then the uk would gain

Potentially with Range Rover, the Yanks love big cars, but you do know who owns Mini?

of course i do,

range rovers seem to be doing well in asia, they are everywhere, without the trappings of the eu this market will grow

vw have been looking at the old rover plant recently, global companies have no loyalty and will go to the best location for business

try

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-industry-merkel-idUSKBN1502CY

the uk could see a boost as uk built cars would be cheaper, along with the 10000's of banking jobs due to move to the uk, its a win win

Why? They have to buy and import steel (probably from China or India) in Dollars, and all the component parts from all over Europe in Euros, and probably the electrical components from Germany and Japan. Just because labour has got a bit cheaper due to the weak pound doesn't mean the overall cost of manufacturing has gone down much as they're not sourcing most of the raw materials in the weak Sterling zone but from markets that are trading high against Sterling.

Another flawed outbreak of Brexit myopia.

Edited by JackCarter