formula 1 2017

the stinking enigma

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Merc by far the best so far but it still has elements I'm not keen on. I think the Force India designer just lost heart and forgot to bother to shape the anvil and just left it as a fin!

Ferrari - just no, looks awful :(

Fingers crossed that McLaren come up with something half decent.

Based on testing so far, a couple of personal predictions:

The new regulations won't improve the races. The increased speed isn't perceptible to spectators, and by all accounts the new aerodynamics create a lot of turbulence, making it hard to follow closely. The lead car will be at a huge advantage, and and pole will usually win.

Lance Stroll will be a liability but probably will increase spectacle by randomly taking out other drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

The Barcelona tests seem to indicate that the 2017 Ferrari is a front runner with Red Bull making a good showing. Mercedes is still well to the fore, but perhaps not as dominant as it has been for the last three years.

Kimi was fastest today with young Max eight tenths back. Driver opinions are mixed over the potential difficulties of overtaking. Two weeks to go until the first race with greater tyre choice, new start regulations requiring more driver input and standing restarts after a safety car. And no Bernie.

• 3 weeks later...

I see by the total lack of comment here that we were all totally underwhelmed by the opening Grand Prix of the 2017 season. It was a predictable procession with the only excitement provided by the single pit stops. As small compensation, we saw a contest between two teams. Perhaps China with its wide track will permit some passes. Let's hope.

Yup, totally underwhelmed is right!

The single pit stop made for a few seconds of excitement, then you had the inevitable 'something may happen towards the end' before they ran out of laps/tyres.

I find the lower formulas a lot more entertaining.

Archived