Drill and Fill abuse of the 70's - dentists

philwebs

I have just come back from the dentist to have a molar repaired. I tiny filling came off. It was very suspicious to my eyes. It was located on the side of a molar, a very shallow depression exposing the dentin on what looked like healthy section of a tooth. My only conclusion is this was yet another "token" "for cash" filling applied all those years ago.

The drill and fill abuse of the 70's meant that dentists got paid for treatments, more so than looking after peoples teeth. Treatments meant money, and dentists got rich. At the time I trusted the medical profession and my dentist. I was puzzled as to why most times I visited a dentist I needed a filling. All of my molars, including the first set, were filled multiple times, a lucrative business for the dentists of that era. Now my teeth are in a shocking state. Too much amalgam and too little enamel.

The consequence of having all of your molars filled multiple times is that eventually the teeth break, need repair, and eventually they are extracted as they are not salvageable. Infection inevitably sets in. Note every filling results in 10-15 micro grams of mercury being ingested, a lovely health tonic.

I have not had a genuine filling for some 20 years. From my mid twenties the number of fillings I had declined substantially as my teeth had "hardened", or in my opinion there was no more space for fillings. Very fortunately only my molars were filled. Over the last 20 years I have had multiple broken teeth and amalgam fillings falling out regularly, all paid for by me. That is expensive.

I have not sought out an opinion from The Department of Health and Social Care as I have a poor opinion of them. It is my opinion that back in the 70's they did they not rigorously look at the claims being made by dentists, and in my opinion were oblivious that over treatment was being practiced. Did they not get opinions from non-biased sources on what was going on? Were they unable to identify abusive dentists even though they were meant to have oversight of this? No need to answer.

Forgive this rant. The older I get the more cynical I get. It is likely that many of you who had a dentist of that era have the same issues as I do, and probably know about this.

For the record my recent dentists are good and do not do unnecessary treatments.

• Like 2

We have to take what you say on face value which is clearly limiting in many ways but let's start with the first paragraph. We can then move on to the emotive descriptions you have chosen in subsequent paragraphs.

Why do you conclude that the filling that came out was a "token" "for cash" (as you put it) ?

I have often wondered if what you are suggesting was the case. I had loads of fillings in the first few years of high school. I find it strange that I needed fillings after only having the teeth for a few years. While some of my teeth are fine nearly 30 years later.

I'm also having problems with the teeth that were filled now needing root canal treatment or removing all together.

My wife who wasn't brought up on the IOM hardly has any fillings.

• Like 3

A well known bitch of a dentist filled my mouth with fillings that weren't needed. I won't mention the cow's name.

No fluoride + coke = multiple fillings

I had loads of amalgam fillings up to age 14 when I quit putting sugar in tea/coffee. None since. Most if not all dental problems are the result of not looking after one's teeth properly.

• Like 3

I wonder how the NHS dentist came to that conclusion.

Can we assume the original treatment was at the school clinic in upper Douglas?

I've never had a school dentist. This was an NHS dentist who went private because money is god. The later dentist took a number of the fillings out and they've not needed to be refilled since. I assume it was based on XRAY.

What do you mean, no fluoride? Fluoride is perfectly fine in toothpaste. I brush twice a day and floss at night and have no dental problems. The last time I saw a dentist was over a year ago and it was just a routine checkup and no dental work was required.

If you are referring to the famous Tom Mangold's Panorama contribution then it was about 25 years ago woody.

He famously ambushed (in the journalistic sense) two representatives from the BDA who were hopeless in their counter arguments. Much dodgy data was included in the program (eg stating dentists gross earnings as opposed to taxable/net which is 50-60% lower) and the failure of the two BDA muppets to challenge him led to the conclusion Mangold was right.

Remember this bastion of the BBC later faked a program of children working in a far east sweat shop.....