IOM Beer & Cider Festival 2017

Rhumsaa

I can't remember if the ask CAMRA members for feedback on the event. Certainly worth mentioning if the ask. I'd likely have gone back Friday evening if there was no music or perhaps just unamplified music. I'm of an age where I can't be arsed if I can't have a chat without having to shout over music.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing with music at the Beer festival is similar to the choice of beers - it's subjective.

I personally don't see the need or value of music at that event but some others enjoy it and feel it adds to the experience.

I also personally find the choice of beer to be a bit too heavily weighted on the old fashioned style of bitter and breweries without enough new and interesting breweries (there are some, no doubt). But that is my own personal taste and may not be representative of the other people who visit.

What they do have is a bit of something for everyone.

Last year they had the music in the promenade suite didn't they?

Yes, the music was in the Promenade Suite last year, but the place was never busy, ie not many people wanted to listen to it.

So this year the organisers decided that if the people didn't want to go and listen to the music, they would impose the music on the people.

Ths year, having an over-amplified toppy shrill in your ear when trying to chat or order a beer is not subjective. Ditto effects pedals and an electric guitar.

But the organisers don't appear to have a clue about the matter of acoustics and general taste.

Our own mf Stu Peters played at the beer festival a year or two back, when the beer was in the Promenade/ Colonnade suites and the music was in the Royal Hall. He said he was only ever playing to a handful of people at most. People were there to drink beer and chat not listen to music.

It's perfectly simple, give people the choice. And if they choose not to listen to the music, then so be it, but don't force them to listen to it, especially when it is virtually impossible to achieve the right acoustic in a hall holding what is primarily... a beer festival.

The music really didn't bother me at all, I just got more and more sloshed til bus time

Edit: I just asked the people I was with, and the guys didn't much care, but the girls said they only came because there would be music on. Even though they didn't really listen to it... Women!

I think I'd best duck out of this one because the whole festival was brilliant and I'll support it come what may. I really don't want to sound negative.

I did offer consructive criticism to whoever was 'in-charge' but they didn't want to know. All the staff nearby just raised their eyebrows and gave me a sympathetic look. "Ah well," I thought....handed my glass over, pointed to a random barrel and said "Fill her up with that one there"

I think I'd best duck out of this one because the whole festival was brilliant and I'll support it come what may. I really don't want to sound negative.

I did offer consructive criticism to whoever was 'in-charge' but they didn't want to know. All the staff nearby just raised their eyebrows and gave me a sympathetic look. "Ah well," I thought....handed my glass over, pointed to a random barrel and said "Fill her up with that one there"

I feel the same, it's good and I enjoyed it.

I don't think they can be constructively criticised because they are a committee of volunteers so they've probably had a lot of discussions and as they give up their free time they are too far invested to listen to people like us who just rock up for a few hours and make personal judgements.

I can see both sides.

Our own mf Stu Peters played at the beer festival a year or two back, when the beer was in the Promenade/ Colonnade suites and the music was in the Royal Hall. He said he was only ever playing to a handful of people at most.

Nonsense, based on RAJAR figures for the event we all listened.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived