IOM Beer & Cider Festival 2017

Rhumsaa

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there yesterday afternoon, well you can't turn down a freebie can you.

Some interesting beers on offer. I tried a few 1/3 pints. It's amazing how many people were drinking pints though - a pint of Okell's at that. By the 2nd pint and beyond the glass is warm and the beer warmer.

I suppose the stemmed half pint glasses don't look tough and macho, but drinking out of a pint glass at a beer festival is kinda missing the point, but each to their own.

I'll be there for the music tonight and maybe tomoz.

Anyone go last night?

I'll be there this afternoon if any other MFers are going.

I don't know why you are so self critical. I think you are a decent person from your posts over the years and definitely not a MFer in my book. thumbsup.gif

It was a bit tongue in cheek!

I went Friday afternoon. Wife came along for the first time and we had a great time. She was selecting the next few beers ahead and making sure we had enough beer vouchers

Saw Rumsaa, but didn't disturb him from studying the beer guide

Steak pie and mash was bloody awesome.

It was a bit tongue in cheek!

I went Friday afternoon. Wife came along for the first time and we had a great time. She was selecting the next few beers ahead and making sure we had enough beer vouchers

Saw Rumsaa, but didn't disturb him from studying the beer guide

Steak pie and mash was bloody awesome.

I was wondering where you were

Seemed busier on the afternoon session than previously. I wish they had sorted some cool air flow into the room.

Rendang pie was top notch.

I had a lovely 6 hours or so of thirds and halves of beer. I chose wisely and don't think I had a drop I disliked.

The Dragons Breath was probably my "winner", or the Ginger Bear. Something a bit different. It was a good time had by all, still a fair bit left at the end of play last night too.

But yes, airflow in the room was a bit meh - thus the average room temperature in there felt like 30 degrees!

We were sitting at the bottom of the steps that went to the pie room. Didn't see you go past so I might have been getting more beer at the time.

ETA I think they had the windows open in the pie room as there was often a cool breeze from there. Didn't notice it being too warm. I'm going to have to order some of those pies for home.

The atmosphere in the afternoons was great. I stuck to the thirds and tried quite a few/as many as possible. Was there a curry flavoured one or did I dream it? It's nice not to have to worry about buying rounds and all the hassle that goes with it. We could just wonder off for a top up whenever and so the company I was with got quietly stewed at our own pace.

It's refreshing to be in a pubby sort of atmosphere with just the buzz of conversation in the background. No bouncers, no pissed up kids, no juke box, no TV, no pool.

Brilliant stuff. Well done all involved.

^ Yes, that's the stuff.

I much prefer Friday afternoon as it's a bit quieter. Don't really want musical entertainment when the people you're with and the beer itself should be entertaining enough.

Good beer, good company, good location, good conversation, good food too. The music was unnecessary. I think putting the music on is a vanity project. Only people who were listening were those immediately in front. I think mostly friends of the musicians.

Others had to put up with the over amplification, in other words the music just became an annoying noise. I don't think that was the intention of either the excellent musicians or the organisers. I read somewhere that the music was supposed to be acoustic. Well no chance. One of the guys had his leccy electric guitar amped up through an array of pedal effects (saw a video somewhere). The best place to be when the music was on - apparently sat on the seats behind the speakers.

Maybe put a tent on outside for the music, if it really, really, really is considered necessary?

The staff and volunteers were helpful and friendly. The Royal Hall is a superb venue for this. Beer was excellent and varied. The Isle of Man Beer festival gets better and better. Cheers.

It was good but far from perfect regarding the music. The acoustic of the Royal Hall and the fact that the vast majority of people were chatting, meant that the amplified music was just a noise in the background that added nothing, unless you were stood nearby and intent on listening.

So I can't agree that the situation was "perfect in every way". Not by a long way. (and I am sure a good number of CAMRA members would concur)

The last band on the Friday was getting there. The music was more ambient, laid back and bassy. The musicians before that were great musicians, of course, but I don't think they were used to playing to an audience that averaged at least twice their age. In the case of the Mae Challis, nearer 3 times her age. Should that matter? Yes, when the majority of them were just looking for a bit of peace enjoying a beer and trying to chat.

I think the musicians need to give their feedback too.

Archived