Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

2 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Have wondered about that but never bothered to try it, too risky on the way out to chance Manx seat mist. I often get the 14:30 from Dubai back but book an overnight stay back in case I miss the connection. Off again in a few weeks, I'll have a look at the return.  

I presume if the plane is delayed from Dubai for whatever reason they are obliged to put you up until the next day?

If booked directly on emirates then emirates covers the connection. ( even the connection between your flights from IOM)

If booking via a travel agent you need to confirm if the connections are covered as it may not be in some cases 

I therefore book directly on Emirates and put IOM as origin and DXB as my destination or any other country that I want to fly to .

Its usually ticketed as IOM-MAN-DXB or rarely IOM-BHX-DXB

I have been doing this for over 3 years now as it saves me time and money ( hotel room stay at manchester )

I have had issues twice . Once flybe from here was delayed and wouldn't have made the connection at MANand Emirates changed to a later flight for free  and another time my arrival at MAN was severely delayed due to delays at Dubai and they put me up in a hotel at MAN.

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Wouldn’t you have to collect bags and go through immigration and custom s when you arrive in UK?.

Yes but you get your own queue :whistling:

The process is this 

Leaving IOM: You check in just like you do to go to the UK . Carry a printout of your ticket. For some strange reason Emirates does not let me check in online if flying to or from the IOM.

The check in staff will take your bags and you need to  make sure that your bags are tagged to your final destination  ( dxb / far east etc ) . They will issue you the boarding passes for all further flights . Sometimes they cannot  do this in IOM which is why its handy to carry a printout of your ticket. 

When you arrive at MAN do not go out ! Stay airside and look for signs saying transit . Follow the signs and reach a security check point.

Now I had mentioned earlier they may have issued a boarding pass from IOM but as you can imagine these do not have your image scanned / ? Biometrics linked to MAN. So the security staff there will check if you are on the system and issue you a small.paper with a QR code on it and let you into Terminal 3 passenger holding area . This is the place where we usually wait after security check at Terminal 3  after clearing security.

You need to make your way to transit to transfer to Terminal 1 ( basically walking in the reverse direction to other passengers who are going to the gates) . You can use the paper with the QR code to open all the gates (  just like what we do but in reverse ) . At the main transit point they will check out your documents and open a door and then you are in Terminal 1 from where you connect to your emirates flight. 

At the gates when you are boarding they sometimes swap over your boarding passes printed in IOM to boarding passes printed on emirates stock .if flying in business or if you have lounge access you can do the same in the lounge. If IOM was not able to print your pases you can still collect it at the gate. 

Now all this seems complex but as long as you remember to follow the 'transit signs ' it's easy .Do not exit landside !!  If you do that you will have to clear manchester T3 security check which is a massive PIA as we all know..

Coming back home: 

Check in at your departure airport at DXB/ far east etc . Make sure your bags are tagged all the way to IOM.

You should get all 3 boarding passes from there. If I am flying from say BKk , I get BKK to DXB , DXB to MAN and MAN to IOM boarding passes there. 

Reach MAN just like how you normally do . Once again do not go to the usual customs and immigration. Look for the transit signs and make your way to transit area. At the transit area they will screen your hand luggage ( you should be compliant with the liquids and the other rules ) and let you to immigration section. 

Most of the time I get my own immigration officer who looks at the passport and opens a door and I am in terminal 3 ( returning is far easier than going!!!!)

Just go to your flybe gate and come to IOM and collect your bags in IOM.

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

The process is this 

Leaving IOM: You check in just like you do to go to the UK . Carry a printout of your ticket. For some strange reason Emirates does not let me check in online if flying to or from the IOM.

The check in staff will take your bags and you need to  make sure that your bags are tagged to your final destination  ( dxb / far east etc ) . They will issue you the boarding passes for all further flights . Sometimes they cannot  do this in IOM which is why its handy to carry a printout of your ticket. 

When you arrive at MAN do not go out ! Stay airside and look for signs saying transit . Follow the signs and reach a security check point.

Now I had mentioned earlier they may have issued a boarding pass from IOM but as you can imagine these do not have your image scanned / ? Biometrics linked to MAN. So the security staff there will check if you are on the system and issue you a small.paper with a QR code on it and let you into Terminal 3 passenger holding area . This is the place where we usually wait after security check at Terminal 3  after clearing security.

You need to make your way to transit to transfer to Terminal 1 ( basically walking in the reverse direction to other passengers who are going to the gates) . You can use the paper with the QR code to open all the gates (  just like what we do but in reverse ) . At the main transit point they will check out your documents and open a door and then you are in Terminal 1 from where you connect to your emirates flight. 

At the gates when you are boarding they sometimes swap over your boarding passed printed in IOM to boarding passes printed on emirates stock .if flying in business or if you have lounge access you can do the same in the lounge. If IOM was not able to print your pases you can still collect it at the gate. 

Now all this seems complex but as long as you remember to follow the 'transit signs ' it's easy Do not exit landside !!  If you do that you will have to clear manchester T3 security check which is a massive PIA as we all know..

I was more thinking of the opposite direction.

Im well aware of airside transit.

3 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Have edited the post above to update that bit . Had to type on mobile so please ignore the typos .

On returning you need to make sure that your hand luggage is compliant with the UK liquids rule while transiting from the arriving dxb flight to the IOM flight at MAN.

Normally this is not a case as DXB liquids /hand luggage rules are similar but could be an issue if you have bought liquids( wine /whisky etc ) while at transit at DXB.

Edited by mad_manx

14 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

The process is this 

At the gates when you are boarding they sometimes swap over your boarding passes printed in IOM to boarding passes printed on emirates stock .if flying in business or if you have lounge access you can do the same in the lounge. If IOM was not able to print your pases you can still collect it at the gate. 

Now all this seems complex but as long as you remember to follow the 'transit signs ' it's easy .Do not exit landside !!  If you do that you will have to clear manchester T3 security check which is a massive PIA as we all know..

I've done IOM-DXB-IOM via MAN four times. Had no issues with outbound IOM and inbound IOM providing they are both booked at the same time. Twice I have booked one way out and one way back.That created a couple of issues through MAN concerned with baggage. The baggage was delayed both times and on both occasions Emirates said the fault was theirs but managed to get the baggage to where it should have been.

Edited by Andy Onchan

8 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Have edited the post above to update that bit . Had to type on mobile so please ignore the typos .

So where do you go through customs with your hold baggage? MAN or BHX is your first port of entry into the U.K./IoM customs area.

Or are you supposed to present your bags at IOM?

And if so, do you?

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

So where do you go through customs with your hold baggage? MAN or BHX is your first port of entry into the U.K./IoM customs area.

Or are you supposed to present your bags at IOM?

And if so, do you?

As far as I know they screen all bags (even in transit ) at Manchester. If they have to open it they will contact you. The bags are usually screened by the time you see the immigration officer ( they usually come to see transit pax after sorting out the passengers in the main immigration area unless it's a very tight connection in which case they come quickly)

Majority of the time I travel with hand luggage but  some people I know have been asked to open their bags that they had checked in .

Edited by mad_manx

Major shareholders, including Virgin Atlantic and Stobart Group, pledged to inject “additional funding” to keep the airline running. They said this would come “alongside government initiatives”.

UKG should call their bluff. The shareholders should put their hands in their pockets first. Without that it's blackmail.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 11:38 AM, mad_manx said:

I hope that stobart air or someone else takes over if flybe leaves.. 

The initial connectivity with flybe has been a lifesaver for travel with codeshare arrangements that they have..

I can leave Dubai at 1430 and reach the IOM at 2100 hrs on the same day( on  Emirates codeshare) with luggage checked in all the way through to IOM.

Have you done that return recently? Just tried it on Emirates website and it doesn't offer me that option for the 14:30 from Dubai, might be because the Manchester flight is now 20:15 which is a little earlier than it used to be so the connection might be too tight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Have you done that return recently? Just tried it on Emirates website and it doesn't offer me that option for the 14:30 from Dubai, might be because the Manchester flight is now 20:15 which is a little earlier than it used to be so the connection might be too tight.

Yes you can till 27th March.After that the schedule changes and EK 19 arrives too late to connect to BE 821. 

I  am flying in a few weeks (if flybe still exists :wacko:) in a similar way via MAN and back in mid march.

The schedule changes every year  at the beginning of summer (end of march and comes back to current schedule around the time we go back to GMT.)

If you are looking for flights after March 27 then you have to fly on EK 17 which leaves dxb at 0720 and connects to BE817. You reach the IOM at around 3 PM.

Edited by mad_manx