Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

If Loganair, Eastern or similar suddenly announce Heathrow services, it is likely that they are being paid to run flights to protect slots on behalf of another carrier due to the 70/30 rules in place this Summer.

So that, plus IOMG subsidy means they're going to be short term and low risk to the operator

12 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

They can't, if one of the airlines does it commercially they can't underwrite the other one. And if one airline was prepared to fly commercially, I think this administration would be happy to let them crack on. They called Loganair's bluff on it.

I'll eat my hat if Flybe2 ever get going, mind.

Well, their aircraft has been seen in Liverpool and Birmingham. What makes you think they won’t get going? 

13 hours ago, Kipper99 said:

My, very reliable, informant ( family member working in airport admin ) reports there were talks yesterday between LoganAir and another undisclosed operator ( assumed to be flybe2 ) and DoI about London routes, including LCY and LHR.

High on agenda was underwriting guarantee.

Obviously if there’s a tax payer subsidy that changes the market and may make an otherwise viable route marginal or uneconomic. IoMG can hardly underwrite one, and not the other.

Not sure if Dr Jez was in the room.

I can imagine it now. We would underwrite both. Loganbear to City and Flybe2 to Heathrow. 

Why lose a shedload of money by running a 'Manx' airline when you can lose an even bigger shedload by subsidising two others! 

Next level genius. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, 0bserver said:

I can imagine it now. We would underwrite both. Loganbear to City and Flybe2 to Heathrow. 

Why lose a shedload of money by running a 'Manx' airline when you can lose an even bigger shedload by subsidising two others! 

Next level genius. 

That shows a fundamental misunderstanding. IoMG might underwrite to a fixed sum. Limiting liability and exposure. Running our own airline leaves unlimited, unquantifiable exposure.

Ask the Sarnians/Giernésiais!

On 2/10/2022 at 7:53 AM, Kipper99 said:

My, very reliable, informant ( family member working in airport admin ) reports there were talks yesterday between LoganAir and another undisclosed operator ( assumed to be flybe2 ) and DoI about London routes, including LCY and LHR.

High on agenda was underwriting guarantee.

Obviously if there’s a tax payer subsidy that changes the market and may make an otherwise viable route marginal or uneconomic. IoMG can hardly underwrite one, and not the other.

But it that case easyJet could probably demand similar terms for their Gatwick route.  There are exceptions for launching new routes I think, but neither of these are and in any case I think the subsidies are only supposed to be short term.

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it that case easyJet could probably demand similar terms for their Gatwick route.  There are exceptions for launching new routes I think, but neither of these are and in any case I think the subsidies are only supposed to be short term.

I think new route incentives can be available after 12 months of no service to that airport

• 2 weeks later...

Some of their first routes have been leaked online.

BHX-JER

BHX-BHD

BHD-CWL

BHD-NCL

BHD-LPL

As it stands, nothing for Ronaldsway International at the moment. 

My understanding, there’ will be an official announcement on Monday, with full list of routes to be initially served. So have to wait until then if IOM will appear on their route map.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:41 PM, asitis said:

The worst possible scenario is Easy Jet are allowed to plunder all the routes which are capable of making a return, and we find ourselves at their mercy as traffic volumes pick up and their aircraft are needed elsewhere .

Hmm if only some people had predicted thus...

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...