Vintage memory of a Douglas past?

Mr Bear

Let's see how many of you remember this ugly thing and where some of them were located.

It was a common fibreglass decoration in the entertainment industry.

clown1.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 2bees said:

Waxworks on the prom?

Yup.  Crescent leisure centre.

I saw one of these clown faces on sale at a stall in a Glasgow market a few years ago and now wish I'd bought it.  It's as ugly as hell, but it's very symbolic of that era.

These things were found at most big arcades and amusement parks.

10 minutes ago, woody2 said:

modern products made them....

Ah yes, that name rings a bell.  I can recall their adverts in the trade press for the fibreglass plaques and larger items.

4 hours ago, woody2 said:

they made the ladybird rides, someone still has the moulds......

They made a lot of rides including pirate ships, mexican hat style rides and dark rides.  A lot were exported to European destinations.

You can spot it in the distance on the Crescent Leisure Centre before it was converted to "luxury seaside apartments" by the cheapest immigrant labour available.

crescent.jpg

13 minutes ago, Bigclive said:

You can spot it in the distance on the Crescent Leisure Centre before it was converted to "luxury seaside apartments" by the cheapest immigrant labour available.

crescent.jpg

Why the slur on the workers there ? Lots of them were local ( unlike you ) and hard working. :(

5 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Why the slur on the workers there ? Lots of them were local ( unlike you ) and hard working. :(

i regularly passed that site while it was being hacked into mini flats and only ever heard European accents.

Archived