The British Library

Barrie Stevens

I have at times directed people to my written works held by the British Library. Often the response has been to say that "They are obliged to accept any rubbish you send them!"...In other words "So what! Means nothing! This is not entirely true.

The moment you create a work you become a publisher and usually the owner of a copyright. There are some exceptions such as common newspaper items as news reports and the publishing of material out of copyright although in such cases copyright can extend to the style, illustrations and even typography.

You do not in the UK and most major countries have to make a deposit with the national library in order to create a copyright. The USA may be an exception to this I have not looked of late. The Library of Congress used to be entitled to two copies of every work. James Hewitt tried to sell Princess Diana's love letters she had written to him. They were worthless as publishing material in fact. James owns the paper, ink and envelope and can sell them. But the words were Diana's copyright and that right is vested in Diana's Estate.

The British Library views the creator of a work as the publisher if you issue it ie publish it as I have done. The British Library has the legal right to claim one copy of your work. This is called "Legal Deposit". Most publishers even small ones such as myself will make a "Voluntary Legal Deposit". The British Library will then choose what to do. I have made 40 legal deposits. Only 32 have been catalogued over 25 years so clearly there is some peer review despite what some MF posters have said.

The other Legal Deposit Libraries are Oxford (Bodleian), Cambridge, Trinity College Dublin, and the National Libraries of Wales and Scotland. They read the monthly Inter-Library catalogue issued by the British Library and then review and select what they want. They then issue a Legal Deposit claim via the Agent for the Legal Deposit Libraries (ALDL) based in Edinburgh. Consequently, I get official claims and must send a free copy to each claiming library via the ALDL. This accounts for the catalogues of those other libraries holding copies of my work.

The main academic bookshops order copies from me via the Legal Deposit Libraries using address details or via the World Catalogue for which I give a link below.

So there is a degree of peer review and of course some people read the books in the libraries and also the British Library operates a lending scheme to any public library for a large fee and which surprised me.

These days "vanity publishing" is more respectable in a digital age because the "gentleman publishers" are gone and no one or not many will subsidise an obscure title by way of best sellers. Even the Oxford and Cambridge university presses are more discerning and much more commercially conscious now. The digital age and easy ownership of computers, printers and binders makes self-publishing both viable and necessary.

In recent times the British Library has been harvesting websites as of right and also sound recordings and E-books. So far as I know the Legal Deposit principle does not extend to the Isle of Man. So the local nationalists Celtic League or whatever were wasting their time refusing to make a legal deposit of one of their books in retaliation for the Island not getting to keep the Manx Chronicles.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiIgKW-pdHVAhWrJsAKHSxwBAUQFggmMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldcat.org%2F&usg=AFQjCNEryV-8RJUhmpTR69COINOXKlKCSQ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

So far as I know the Legal Deposit principle does not extend to the Isle of Man. So the local nationalists Celtic League or whatever were wasting their time refusing to make a legal deposit of one of their books in retaliation for the Island not getting to keep the Manx Chronicles.

It's a bit daft of them to expect the island to be able to keep the "Manx Chronicles", given that they are only a small part of a much larger text. Do they propose ripping out the parts which relate to the Isle of Man? That would be vandalism and destruction of history.

As to your point about the British Library, I hope I did not come across as belittling your literature contribution. I was only pointing out that depositing texts in the British Library or other libraries does not add any weight to those texts anymore than incorporating their content into a post on here.

I wonder if anyone has ever borrowed bought or copied a page from one of Barry's books deposited in the British Library. 

The publishing of a book is irrelevant the dissemination of its contents is what matters. Barry what are your titles?  Have you self published them on Amazon like Miss Take and other MF members - go on put up a link!

I actually have looked up Barrie's works at the British Library and had a quick read of a couple of them.

I actually think they are quite interesting. But I do still want a list of all the natural explanations for the phenomena he mentioned in the Most Haunted thread and an item by item list of why he rejected each of them. I'm just interested. We should rule out everything before assuming supernatural explanations.

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

A Barrie thread where The British Library is actually mentioned in the title, (well it is the title) rather than being brought up randomly somewhere in the thread.

I did this for clarity so that it was not lost in the forest of other comments and also so that it may be of interest to some. It will do no harm to raise this topic on its own merits.. On MF it  is more often the people who read and do not comment that matter.

12 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghosts break the laws of thermodynamics and you can't get much more extraordinary than that. 

I would say that thermodynamics has yet to evolve so as to "make like a ghost"/spirit...Most scientists I believe will acknowledge that the universe works to ordered pattern and law. The problem is in trying to apply material or earthly law to that which transcends humanity's perception. I suppose the error is that the finite tries to understand the infinite and eternal by applying physical understanding. I have given you the link for "Silver Birch". Do go and read the question and answer sessions.

4 hours ago, Aristotle said:

It's a bit daft of them to expect the island to be able to keep the "Manx Chronicles", given that they are only a small part of a much larger text. Do they propose ripping out the parts which relate to the Isle of Man? That would be vandalism and destruction of history.

As to your point about the British Library, I hope I did not come across as belittling your literature contribution. I was only pointing out that depositing texts in the British Library or other libraries does not add any weight to those texts anymore than incorporating their content into a post on here.

This is understood. But sometimes there are posters who annoy one and one gets the impression that the football pages of the "Sun" would for them be a struggle in the exercise of comprehension.

20 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghosts break the laws of thermodynamics and you can't get much more extraordinary than that. 

In what way do ghosts break the laws of thermodynamics? Nobody claims they are made up of physically-derived energy.

No people claim they are made of magic stuff for which there is no more evidence than there is for ghosts in the first place and which ignores huge amounts of evidence that human psychology is a far far better way to understand this phenomena than looking for ectoplasm. 

2 hours ago, Chinahand said:

I wonder if anyone has ever borrowed bought or copied a page from one of Barry's books deposited in the British Library. 

The publishing of a book is irrelevant the dissemination of its contents is what matters. Barry what are your titles?  Have you self published them on Amazon like Miss Take and other MF members - go on put up a link!

At this stage I see myself as creating historical documents for reference rather than purchase. If someone wants to call me up and buy one I am happy to oblige but archiving is my aim.

Some of the titles are purely historical for future historians. The British Library does collect manuscripts and often you see the TV historians like Lucy Worsley and etc delving into the archives for one off original documents left by people such as myself...

If you look at some of my titles you will see that they are literally put together so that the information is not lost. ie School days very old school now!...Some Norfolk family history (Mine!)...Somewhat different interpretations of scripture that are esoteric and not mainstream...Baltic Exchange and City history and merchant shipping and I am completing a massive work at the moment that will rival anything in the National Maritime Museum in scope and historical value because I was there....

I do not know or care if someone has read my work or even copied it...Hang on a chap called Stephen Jakobi OBE wrote me asking two or three weeks ago for a copy of that item on Sarah/Sally Chesham the poisoner.....My aim is the creation of historical documents that might otherwise not exist as there is no money in doing what I am doing.

They are written with future research in mind on very expensive cotton paper using very costly pigmented inks and should last at least 200 years..Thus Amazon etc are of no use to me...

If you Google SEAX the on-line catalogue of the Essex Record Office and enter my name you will see a list of the type of archival items I create...It is a labour of love..My work is in many libraries and archives too boring to list!

I do not publish links The British Library does that for me as do the other Legal Deposit Libraries and the World Catalogue for which you have a link. So now do as I intended. Go research!

Archived