Stephen Hawking on the NHS

La Colombe

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Like I said before, I feel very sorry for him, but do not rate him at all.

Yeah, that whole evaporating black holes, Hawking radiation thing was totes obvs long before he made it up.

Surprised it's not called Dilligaf Radiation after your considerable volume of work in the cosmology field.

1 minute ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Yeah, that whole evaporating black holes, Hawking radiation thing was totes obvs long before he made it up.

Surprised it's not called Dilligaf Radiation after your considerable volume of work in the cosmology field.

Like that matters to who ? this world is full of theories.

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Why?

Apart from him being arguably the most important theoretical physicist since Einstein, and a veritable national treasure for his triumph over the adversity of motor neurone disease that has left him virtually locked in for about 50 years then nothing I suppose.

Seriously, trying to defeat Hawking's views by accusing the man of being 'a twat' - you can do better than that.

Just now, wrighty said:

Apart from him being arguably the most important theoretical physicist since Einstein, and a veritable national treasure for his triumph over the adversity of motor neurone disease that has left him virtually locked in for about 50 years then nothing I suppose.

Seriously, trying to defeat Hawking's views by accusing the man of being 'a twat' - you can do better than that.

Like I have said several times before, I feel very sorry for him and admire him for his battle against the awful condition he has been "cursed" with.

He is obviously very intelligent and an accomplished scientist.

Does that give him the upper hand in any debate about funding of the NHS? 

In my opinion it does not and I don't really understand why he is going down this route.

As for his triumph over his illness, many many others have had to face the same challenge without any notice from the press at all.

Does that make him any better than them?

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Hawking invented those?  Now you are exaggerating his importance :rolleyes:

Just look at his face. The face of a thinker. A warrior. A man for all seasons.

Yes, Stephen Hawking is all that and more. But he is not perfect. Perhaps his greatest fault is that he is too selfless. He cares too much for his fellow man, with nary a thought for himself.

A man of limitless accomplishments, and unbridled modesty.

I can safely say that to know him is to love him. And to love him is to know him. Those who know him, love him, while those who do not know him, love him from afar.

7 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Just look at his face. The face of a thinker. A warrior. A man for all seasons.

Yes, Stephen Hawking is all that and more. But he is not perfect. Perhaps his greatest fault is that he is too selfless. He cares too much for his fellow man, with nary a thought for himself.

A man of limitless accomplishments, and unbridled modesty.

I can safely say that to know him is to love him. And to love him is to know him. Those who know him, love him, while those who do not know him, love him from afar.

Anything that is relevant to us now ?

8 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Like I have said several times before, I feel very sorry for him and admire him for his battle against the awful condition he has been "cursed" with.

He is obviously very intelligent and an accomplished scientist.

Does that give him the upper hand in any debate about funding of the NHS? 

In my opinion it does not and I don't really understand why he is going down this route.

As for his triumph over his illness, many many others have had to face the same challenge without any notice from the press at all.

Does that make him any better than them?

What bits of what Hawking's said do you disagree with?  He's not being gifted the upper hand in a so-called debate with Hunt because he's either a physicist or severely physically disabled, but this pairing means he is famous and well-regarded, so what he says will get publicised. 

I have sympathy with Hunt's position too - I don't think he's trying to run the service into the ground, he's just trying to balance the books while pretending that the service is affordable, which it isn't in its current form.

Archived