Stephen Hawking on the NHS

La Colombe

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NHS cannot continue with its present form and funding mechanism. 

I despise all the blame attributed to 'foreigners' for the stress on the Service but the ever increasing population will be a factor. I further despise those using the NHS as a political football too whether suggesting it will be saved by brexit or all would suddenly all would be well if there was a change of government.

Prof H has as much right as anyone else to air his views and his status will clearly give his views more clout.However I very much doubt that he is an expert in NHS finances and management so his input may well be politically based despite having good basic intentions.

The NHS predicament needs open discussion but I do not like the way political opponents only ever mention the US system as to why it cannot change. There are a huge number of alternatives that may be based on part private cover paid for by protected insurance. I would have no issue with that as long as the premium was not based on risk and those who are in poverty/are very old or young /have a long standing medical problem etc are protected. This happens elsewhere to very good effect eg France.

The clue is that hardly anywhere has a health system like ours now and there is a reason for this. That reason has little to do with a tory government.

14 hours ago, finlo said:

It's not underfunded though is it, the more money you throw at it the more it will consume via more highly paid non entities etc.

I'd like to know whether our hapless Chief Minister has given DHSC the budget it requested or not

21 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

I'd like to know whether our hapless Chief Minister has given DHSC the budget it requested or not

Hapless Chief Minister and hapless Health Minister do not an NHS make.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:16 AM, ballaughbiker said:

The NHS cannot continue with its present form and funding mechanism. 

I despise all the blame attributed to 'foreigners' for the stress on the Service but the ever increasing population will be a factor. I further despise those using the NHS as a political football too whether suggesting it will be saved by brexit or all would suddenly all would be well if there was a change of government.

Prof H has as much right as anyone else to air his views and his status will clearly give his views more clout.However I very much doubt that he is an expert in NHS finances and management so his input may well be politically based despite having good basic intentions.

The NHS predicament needs open discussion but I do not like the way political opponents only ever mention the US system as to why it cannot change. There are a huge number of alternatives that may be based on part private cover paid for by protected insurance. I would have no issue with that as long as the premium was not based on risk and those who are in poverty/are very old or young /have a long standing medical problem etc are protected. This happens elsewhere to very good effect eg France.

The clue is that hardly anywhere has a health system like ours now and there is a reason for this. That reason has little to do with a tory government.

The only reason the NHS is "failing" is because it is being steered to fail, so that it can be replaced with a US style fully private insurance based model.

Jeremy Hunt, the man best placed to do this, even wrote a book on how to achieve this.

https://whatwouldvirchowdo.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/weve-found-jeremy-hunts-book-and-yes-he-does-want-to-privatise-the-nhs/

There is good money to be made from the NHS:

http://www.nhsforsale.info/private-providers/private_providers02.html

And if things don't go your way, you can just use "lawfare" against it:

https://www.ft.com/content/297e7714-089f-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b

The only reason the NHS is "failing" is because it is being steered to fail, so that it can be replaced with a US style fully private insurance based model.

Jeremy Hunt, the man best placed to do this, even wrote a book on how to achieve this.

https://whatwouldvirchowdo.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/weve-found-jeremy-hunts-book-and-yes-he-does-want-to-privatise-the-nhs/

There is good money to be made from the NHS:

http://www.nhsforsale.info/private-providers/private_providers02.html

And if things don't go your way, you can just use "lawfare" against it:

https://www.ft.com/content/297e7714-089f-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b

Your allegation of a "Chomski" subterfuge is only reason??? Really? :rolleyes:

It's a highly complex multifactorial issue of (just to mention but a few) :

Ageing population, top heavy and inefficient management, waste, ever increasing demand due to new techniques, increasing numbers and the unhealthy lifestyle of a lot of those numbers etc etc. The ageing issues and poor lifestyle choices of those younger are significant problems followed by an ever increasing range of treatments which keep people alive longer causing further expense. 

To suggest that JH or the tories has planned all those to somehow engineer the failure of the whole NHS so they can supposedly sell it off and force privatisation seems ludicrous. The false dichotomy of the present system or the USA is also well.....false.

It has been a marvellous institution since its planning by the wartime coalition government and inception by Attlee's government but will never be able to fully keep pace with change no matter how much is thrown at it by whom. 

I would have no problem with part-privatisation of say 25% and it has to be said that part privatisation was introduced by a small part of the NHS as far back as 1950, 2 years after it started, to control misuse. 

Yeah, your postulation in the quote really does seem ludicrous.

8 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Your allegation of a "Chomski" subterfuge is only reason??? Really? :rolleyes:

It's a highly complex multifactorial issue of (just to mention but a few) :

Ageing population, top heavy and inefficient management, waste, ever increasing demand due to new techniques, increasing numbers and the unhealthy lifestyle of a lot of those numbers etc etc. The ageing issues and poor lifestyle choices of those younger are significant problems followed by an ever increasing range of treatments which keep people alive longer causing further expense. 

To suggest that JH or the tories has planned all those to somehow engineer the failure of the whole NHS so they can supposedly sell it off and force privatisation seems ludicrous. The false dichotomy of the present system or the USA is also well.....false.

No, but they have engineered the over reliance of managers in place of experienced workers, quotas instead of care, ludicrous third party contracts, £1000 for a £5 bottle of saline, etc.

I take it you didn't read any of the links I provided.

Archived