Technicolor TG589vac v2 Dual-Band VDSL/ADSL2+ router

Is anyone using the Technicolor TG589vac v2 Dual-Band VDSL/ADSL2+ router provided by Manx Telecom, if so has anyone had any issues with them. Are  they suitable for streaming plex from a server?  I use a Fritzbox at the moment but I'm having a few issues with disconnections usually any time from 6pm until about 9.30pm. I know it could be my line and it probably is even though I haven't had any problems in the past. If I get a new or loan router and that works fine I know it'll be my router that's faulty, If the new router has problems it will be the line or the box has a fault. If it turns out to be the latter  I can get an MT engineer out and it won't cost me.

Thanks in advance. WD.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The disconnections are most likely due to Telecom switching your line to Vectoring enabled.  Tons of fritzboxes simply don't work with it and drop off all the time, which is why MT are moving customers onto those cheap Technicolor routers, which do seem to work.  I don't think they are a particularly "feature rich" product, but will do the job.

Too many people have had this exact issue.  What's crazy is the Telecom engineers themselves will tell you that the guys in charge know full well what the problems are (basically what they have caused!), yet still insist on having engineers visit site to keep the customers happy!  Frustrating for the customer, and frustrating for the MT engineer, most of whom are excellent and sympathetic to the customer.

Thanks for the reply SWD. Can you or anyone else recommend a router apart from the new technicolor router that will work with MTs ultima broadband?

34 minutes ago, WilDDog said:

Thanks for the reply SWD. Can you or anyone else recommend a router apart from the new technicolor router that will work with MTs ultima broadband?

Is it OS-version specific?  I've got a Fritz 3390 on FritzOS 06.52 which seems to be working OK.

Fritz website shows 3390 supports G.993.5 Vectoring https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-3390/knowledge-base/publication/show/37_Supported-DSL-lines/

Apologies if I am proving the old adage about a little knowledge...

Capture.JPG

Hmm, maybe it depends on the Fritz model, as there have been a few i think?

Personally i stick with Draytek, as although they are quite expensive, they are rock solid and you can do a ton with them.  A bit complicated for the non technical though, but other than that the newer Netgear Nighthawks seem to get decent reviews, and i would imagine have up to date firmwares that support vectoring

Guest MrFunk
49 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Is it OS-version specific?  I've got a Fritz 3390 on FritzOS 06.52 which seems to be working OK.

Fritz website shows 3390 supports G.993.5 Vectoring https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-3390/knowledge-base/publication/show/37_Supported-DSL-lines/

Apologies if I am proving the old adage about a little knowledge...

Capture.JPG

Most FritzBox routers sold in the last x years with updated firmware should be absolutely fine with vectoring (as yours is).  I have the exact same router/firmware and it was playing up badly when MT enabled vectoring, but only when the phone line was in use.  That says not the routers problem to me, instead a MT cabinet/socket/configuration problem.  I've now found out about 3 other people with other makes of what should be supported routers having similar problems in the past month or 2.  Our line has been rolled back.

Thomson use Broadcom chipsets which are solid. I had the same issues year back with dozens of ADSL customers, everything except Thomson (Broadcom) was dreadful... Something is definitely not right at the moment.

17 hours ago, somewhatdamaged said:

The disconnections are most likely due to Telecom switching your line to Vectoring enabled.  Tons of fritzboxes simply don't work with it and drop off all the time, which is why MT are moving customers onto those cheap Technicolor routers, which do seem to work.

I'm using the original netgear router supplied about 3 years ago, drop offs are terrible more so in the evenings between 5-7, I rang MT around a year ago and they just said they'd send an engineer but I would be charged if the fault was my end so I declined, they also said they aren't aware of any similar issues....

Is it possible it could be this vectoring enabled thingy?

I think I've sorted it by rolling back the firmware. I'll let you know tomorrow night.

Joey Concrete can you recommend a Thomson (Broadcom)  router? 

I don't think it's the vectoring as according to MT, I was only switched onto that  last Monday. and according to them I;ve been getting drop outs before that.

I used to know the range inside out, but I’m a little outdated on the Thomsons nowadays. I would guess the latest models perform equally well and it’s a case that they’ve just got more features. 

I think the DSL performance gain is because the ISAMs also have Broadcom chipsets, so there’s a level of implicit compatibility. Other routers use Matrox and suchlike, that requires some testing for interoperability. Again, this ‘used’ to be an important factor - which I suspect is still the case.

Netgear was always a good bet, but my own experience is their range can be a little random, with some real crap models appearing now and again.

I’d take an indication from what MT use, and perhaps even BT.

MT were using Fritzbox but if you’ve indicated they’ve dropped them, that could indicate three things; commercially they’re not great (possible), they’re technically inferior (they get great reviews elsewhere) or there’s issues about optimal performance (I.e speeds/compatibility)

Nope just lost the connection again. Will head to Telecom in the morning to get a loan router to try, at least I can rule the router out then.

Well ManxTelecom don't do loan routers anymore, maybe they should tell the rest of the staff especially the ones who are on the support first port of call if your having a problem.

Anyway I took the router to telecom this morning who plugged it in and said it's not my router causing the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived