Plastic....Noooooo!!!

yootalkin2me

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I know a couple of "peelers", so if they pop round your place you will jump out of your "skin". Time to "jacket" in now I think.

Well time for you to turn over a new leaf, flower...this thread is too thorny for any shrinking violets.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

But I don't think we should turn the clock back though. We can't go back to loose goods, paper bags and boys delivering groceries on carrier bikes though can we.?

Yes, we absolutely should, sometimes turning back the clock is going forwards, you only continue with something if it's good or works, too much plastic isn't good and it doesn't work, even recycling uses resources and energy and can only be done so many times.

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The main problem is that there are just too many people, and since the advent of health and safety and Americans, the stupidity gene now pervades our evolution.

Well you could help by jumping off a bridge, you would then reduce the population and stem the tide of the stupid gene in one go :-)

2 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:
7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The main problem is that there are just too many people, and since the advent of health and safety and Americans, the stupidity gene now pervades our evolution.

Well you could help by jumping off a bridge, you would then reduce the population and stem the tide of the stupid gene in one go :-)

Not nice.:(

Albert may come out  of the rovers, a little the worse for wear and jump off the fairy bridge and get wet feet :o

12 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

I don't think your dad meant you're that clever that you could have become an astronaut, when he said he should have shot you into space.

The problem isn't the packaging, as such, but the desire to have everything available regardless of  the season.  So, we end up with all year round produce that has to be packaged  in a certain way to keep it fresh after a very long trip from whatever part of the globe is conducive to that item being grown.

There was something nice to see satsumas in the shops before Xmas having not had them all year; it was part of Xmas, ditto nuts, sprouts  and anything else you can think of that is associated with Xmas. Similarly, lettuce, lamb, herring, mackerel at other times of year.

(A marketing lesson from years ago was a study of Cadbury's Creme Eggs. Very popular at Easter, so Cadbury's sold them all year round.  Sales fell, so they reverted to the Easter season and sales rocketed again.  They do seem to be slipping back to the year round availability but presenting them in different forms. Seasonality is good but requires more thought to maintain revenues, so is destined to fail.)

If stuff was sold closer to where it is grown, the packaging and storing  would be less.  We should also, as consumers, be happy to buy stuff that is not aesthetically pleasing - nature doesn't do consumer aesthetics! The taste of a carrot that resembles a geriatric's genitals is no different from one that looks like a callow youth's strident member.

And, whatever happened to soil?  It should be what all our  veg is grown in and we should just learn to deal with it.  It also keeps the veg fresher than the sterile washed state in which most veg is sold. 

Rant over. 

I agree that there is too much use of plastic in packaging and biodegradable alternatives should be used, if at all possible. Likewise, takeaway coffee cups that contain plastic should be replaced by ones made from biodegradable materials.

It is frustrating that the only plastics accepted for recycling - at least by Douglas Corporation - are bottles and bottle tops, so a lot of plastic containers end up going to he incinerator, even though some of it has the right symbols for recycling of them. I understand that plastics could be used in road repairs - perhaps that should be tried here?

https://www.curbed.com/2017/4/26/15428382/road-potholes-repair-plastic-recycled-macrebur

Archived