Steam Packet to be sold

craggy_steve

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Why would the UK do that? Can't see it at all.

What UK NHS? It is well nigh fragmented into all sorts of trusts and groupings plus control by the devolved governments. It has long since ceased to be a standard service or even a national concept. Down on my manor the number of private hospitals, day surgery clinics, and even private GPs continues to expand and they are pushing hard for the business.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

What UK NHS? It is well nigh fragmented into all sorts of trusts and groupings plus control by the devolved governments. It has long since ceased to be a standard service or even a national concept. Down on my manor the number of private hospitals, day surgery clinics, and even private GPs continues to expand and they are pushing hard for the business.

Come on, Barrie, don't be disingenuous. Although overloaded because of uncontrolled immigration the UK NHS IS a standard service and remains not only a national concept but very much a national service free at the point of use.  The emergence of a private sector is simply because people can afford bells and whistles and in many cases a faster service but if there is a real medical need the NHS is no better or worse than the private services.

HOW the NHS delivers it's service to the end user is largely immaterial just as NHS trusts are a means of providing local budgetary control that in spite of various glitches by and large are working well.

43 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I spoke to an individual of one the organisations who looked at it whose job it was to evaluate whether they expressed an interest or not, who would have been a good fit both geographically and professionally, and they shied away from it due to monopoly the Steam Packet had on the linkspan. 

The only reason that a monopoly position exists is because of IOMG, not the other way around. IOMSPCo linkspan would be of no use if they didn't have any routes or boats to use it.

It looks like the French Government are preparing to let Air France go as until now they have been expected to continue to fund the inefficient business. This will be a very expensive write off (14% holders of Air France KLM). Will the Manx Government be prepared to do the same in x years time?

21 minutes ago, Rog said:

Come on, Barrie, don't be disingenuous. Although overloaded because of uncontrolled immigration the UK NHS IS a standard service and remains not only a national concept but very much a national service free at the point of use.  The emergence of a private sector is simply because people can afford bells and whistles and in many cases a faster service but if there is a real medical need the NHS is no better or worse than the private services.

HOW the NHS delivers it's service to the end user is largely immaterial just as NHS trusts are a means of providing local budgetary control that in spite of various glitches by and large are working well.

There are differences evolving and the other day a headline was something like the Scottish NHS leads the way to show others how to do it. Wales has differences also. The point is that the IOM is akin to the devolved regions in having its own version just as they do. I give a link to show how politicised it has become...By the way, down on my manor most of the hospital staff are immigrants! 

http://www.scot.nhs.uk/

5 minutes ago, NoTail said:

It looks like the French Government are preparing to let Air France go as until now they have been expected to continue to fund the inefficient business. This will be a very expensive write off (14% holders of Air France KLM). Will the Manx Government be prepared to do the same in x years time?

The French Govt as I heard on the news now retains only a tiny percentage share in Air France. Its financial support is thus disproportionate. I am going to say the French Govt holds 2%????

5 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

There are differences evolving and the other day a headline was something like the Scottish NHS leads the way to show others how to do it. Wales has differences also. The point is that the IOM is akin to the devolved regions in having its own version just as they do. I give a link to show how politicised it has become...By the way, down on my manor most of the hospital staff are immigrants! 

http://www.scot.nhs.uk/

How many speak English fluently?  Oh wait - London. Probably not needed.

8 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Well it is not London and yes they seem OK to me! 

Not London? Just goes to show how they're spreading now.

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Get Calmac in

Pay them a subvention.

Sorted

Calmac is owned by the Scottish Govt. So you want a country outside of both the UK and the EU to pay a subsidy to a UK owned company that already gets one and whose current subsidies come under EU scrutiny?

No point in buying the Steampacket then is there? You need an out of EU management set up so that they don't get to poke their nose in.

Calmac is currently subject to EU rules and regs and this affects the nature and structure of its services. The EU keeps a close eye on state subsidies although there is an exceptions clause for essential lifelines. So far the Scottish Govt and Calmac have not availed themselves of this opt out. They have used a structure to avoid any issues.

We do not know the terms of Brexit just yet but I feel that such as ferries and the like plus subsidies will be on the table for negotiation or at least an issue to be settled. Already there is a means under Protocol 3 for the Island's help to industry to be watched over by Brussels.

I have a feeling in my water that taking the Steampacket totally "in house" and out of EU peripheral influence is connected with how those in the loop see Brexit evolving...And my water also feels that Calmac's future is tied up with similar developments.

Archived