Steam Packet to be sold

craggy_steve

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

Wouldn't it be lovely to have just one thread where Rog didn't shoehorn in a bit of casual racism that bears no relevance to the actual topic?

I doubt it will happen in our lifetime... or his

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

£80m on a deep port. £30m on a landing stage in Liverpool. £124m on the Packet.....

infrastructure all over the Island needing money spending. Ailing health service, PS pension issues, massively over structured local and national government.

Id guess they are trying to bankrupt the Island before handing it back to the U.K. 

Spot on but the biggest item of the lot is the c. £150m needed for two new ships especially if they are the new ones promised and up at the 142m length required for future-proofing. This takes the total required to nearly £400m which is a big bet for our Government. Alf C says the business makes £12-15m profit pa which does not sound like enough to service £400m of capital

1 hour ago, Barrie Stevens said:

The French Govt as I heard on the news now retains only a tiny percentage share in Air France. Its financial support is thus disproportionate. I am going to say the French Govt holds 2%????

14% in the group

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Id guess they are trying to bankrupt the Island before handing it back to the U.K. 

I doubt that it's even as benign as that - the UK is unlikely to help and there will have been no guarantees.  They're just trying to empty the coffers as much as possible when they are in control and don't care whatever wreckage they leave behind.  Presumably the 'right' people will have found a way to benefit and everyone else is expected to pay.

The speed at which these things are being pushed through is a good indication of that - presumably even our politicians would stop this madness if they were given enough time to consider things properly.

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They're just trying to empty the coffers as much as possible when they are in control and don't care whatever wreckage they leave behind.

What are you basing this theory on? And who are "they"?

1 hour ago, Sheldon said:

Wouldn't it be lovely to have just one thread where Rog didn't shoehorn in a bit of casual racism that bears no relevance to the actual topic?

If you care to look back you'll find that Barrie raised the immigrant factor. 

28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I doubt that it's even as benign as that - the UK is unlikely to help and there will have been no guarantees.  They're just trying to empty the coffers as much as possible when they are in control and don't care whatever wreckage they leave behind.  Presumably the 'right' people will have found a way to benefit and everyone else is expected to pay.

The speed at which these things are being pushed through is a good indication of that - presumably even our politicians would stop this madness if they were given enough time to consider things properly.

If good governance doesn't prevail, then we are back under Whitehall rule. 

1 hour ago, Deemster said:

Spot on but the biggest item of the lot is the c. £150m needed for two new ships especially if they are the new ones promised and up at the 142m length required for future-proofing. This takes the total required to nearly £400m which is a big bet for our Government. Alf C says the business makes £12-15m profit pa which does not sound like enough to service £400m of capital

110% there'll be a request in the not too distant future for an urgent cash call or bond from shareholders to fund the new builds as financial institutions will refuse to finance it.

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Get Calmac in

Pay them a subvention.

Sorted

They looked at the expression of interest last year. Turned their nose up as they wouldn't be able to compete with the Steam Packet on price. Shame as they have some lovely boats.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

If good governance doesn't prevail, then we are back under Whitehall rule. 

I just don't see any of this happening any time soon. We are under de facto Whitehall rule anyway seeing as we are free to do as we are told and everything needs the Royal Assent. They let the Island get on with the day to day, but put a foot out of line and big brother steps in. No need for more action in that direction.

Archived