Rally Under Threat...

La Colombe

5 hours ago, Gizo said:

Government sanctioned event. TT also government sanctioned and promoted. Probably the rally is too. Time for this killing spree to end. 

So, by your reckoning the government tell each competitor what speed that they should take every corner, where they change gear or brake and prepare the machinery? The rally is not government promoted, they look at the organisational capabilities of the organisers, they promote the TT but do not organise it.

2 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Number of "tractors jumping over a bus" deaths in the IOM: 0

If the IOMG hosted, sponsored and promoted a "tractors jumping over a bus" event and someone dies who is ultimately responsible?

Rally drivers/riders/spectators who come the IOM to watch/participate in the IOM TT/FoM/Rally would not be here if not for the event(s), and chances are those that suffer injuries/death would still be alive is not for said events.

If you decide to take the risk of jumping over a bus in a tractor, you are ultimately responsible for your own safety. 

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Max Power said:

So, by your reckoning the government tell each competitor what speed that they should take every corner, where they change gear or brake and prepare the machinery? The rally is not government promoted, they look at the organisational capabilities of the organisers, they promote the TT but do not organise it.

If you decide to take the risk of jumping over a bus in a tractor, you are ultimately responsible for your own safety. 

Ah the good ol'd "abdicating responsibility" of the organisers.

How do you think people would feel about a televised Russian Roulette Tournament - endorsed, sponsored, organised and ultimately making money off of by IOMG?

No one would force them to enter, or tell them which finger to use to pull the trigger, etc.

21 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

As far as I can tell, they (IoM Gov) do a fair bit of organising. IT, timing, logistics etc?

I meant the organising of the actual racing.

3 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Ah the good ol'd "abdicating responsibility" of the organisers.

How do you think people would feel about a televised Russian Roulette Tournament - endorsed, sponsored, organised and ultimately making money off of by IOMG?

No one would force them to enter, or tell them which finger to use to pull the trigger, etc.

Russian Roulette is a game of chance, competitive motorsport is not. Many people seem to think that competitors just run off the road in an unprovoked fashion, accidents are generally the result of a miscalculation by the competitor.

There is no abdication of responsibility, but there is a limit to how safe a public road can be made for motorsport purposes. I'm not saying that every possible precaution has been taken as far as the Mountain Course is concerned but there is clearly an acceptance of the risks involved by all concerned.     

Having recently watched some WRC coverage from Greece or somewhere, I'd say that some of these events are currently a mass spectator tragedy waiting to happen. Makes the TT look positively antiseptic :lol:

Company approaches IOMGOV to run an event on their estate.

can they:

provide evidence of competency

secure sufficient insurance

produce risk assessments, safety and event plans to an auditable standard?

if all the above are ticked, I cannot see how any risk continues with the Govt?

Archived