12 Rules For Life - Dr Jordan Peterson

Stu Peters

As Gladys said, he tells us what we (mostly) already know, intuitively, but explains why we have evolved with that innate knowledge. The other thing I like is that he's for individual responsibility freedoms and against ideologies and group identity.

But the biggest thing is that he speaks carefully (have made a mental note to emulate) and is unafraid of speaking 'his' truth, in plain sight, in the knowledge that in a democracy people will soon correct him if he is wrong and they can prove it. In a world gone fucking mad with PC nonsense (which he says is the new and more acceptable face of neo-Marxism) he's a refreshing voice of reason. I'm not an academic, but he makes what seems an interesting point that universities are radicalising a whole generation of kids rather than educating them.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turns out this is a Self Help Book of some sort:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Rules_for_Life

I guess the Book has 12 Chapters.  Here are the Rules:

Outline of the book:[4]

1 - Stand up straight with your shoulders back
2 - Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
3 - Make friends with people who want the best for you
4 - Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today
5 - Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
6 - Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world
7 - Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
8 - Tell the truth – or, at least, don't lie
9 - Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don't
10 - Be precise in your speech
11 - Do not bother children when they are skateboarding
12 - Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

I especially like the one about giving a Pet to a Cat!  I also like the one about Telling The Truth.  And it is a Good Idea to foster Friendships with People who would want the Best For You.

But the one about Not Bothering Children when they are Skateboarding.  There are surely other things that they might be doing what you do not want to Interrupt them about.

And I do think that it is best to keep yourself in order than Criticizing the World.

But basically,, I have a Book about Personal Ethics that is by a Druid Priestess that addresses such Philosophies of Life best so I can not see this Peterson guy writing anything better so I will save me Money and leave his Book alone.

3X3

• 2 weeks later...

Archived