I'm planning to run for MHK for Peel

BornAndRaised

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Write a manifesto outlining your thoughts on the Islands current situation and a guide to how you would like to see it in the future. Don't worry right now about how you would achieve that future because it is still early, but some actual vision would be nice. Publish it here, and discuss, keep calm and don't lose your shit when it gets torn to shreds. Learn from the experience and write a better one. Then launch yourself properly, spam the shit out of social media and completely rip the piss out of the incumbents. That bit will be easy because they are both shit, but seriously concentrate more on what you can do better. Calm, authoritative and sincere debate is the way forward, so try not to get involved in the idiot pages on facebook too early. 

29 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Thanks! 

I feel like an MHK's interests should lie with the people - just so I have some grounding, what do you guys think can be improved about the island? 

That’s for you to know not ask others for

Do you not have any views of your own?

43 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Thanks! 

I feel like an MHK's interests should lie with the people - just so I have some grounding, what do you guys think can be improved about the island? 

Oh dear...

11 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

That’s for you to know not ask others for

Do you not have any views of your own?

Sorry if it seems that way! I do have views of my own, but I would also like other people's uninfluenced input to make sure that I'm not missing anything out, and to get fresh perspectives. 

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

Sorry if it seems that way! I do have views of my own, but I would also like other people's uninfluenced input to make sure that I'm not missing anything out, and to get fresh perspectives. 

In other words, you haven't a clue.

10 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

In other words, you haven't a clue.

Hi Neil! If it will ease your mind, I can release a manifesto here at some point (as another user suggested). 

As a side note, I have spoken to some MHKs for advice, and one thing that I was told was useful was to speak to the people to know what their concerns are, in order to be able to resolve them. Furthermore, in this early stage (3 years before the next election), I do not see the harm in finding out what the population's issues are outside of some of the bigger known ones - especially since the earlier I find them out, the more time I have to think of an alternative or at least consider them. An MHK is supposed to represent the people - how can one do this if they do not speak to the people they are representing? Would you rather that a political candidate sit inside a box and ignore the changing issues of the island? 

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Hi Neil! If it will ease your mind, I can release a manifesto here at some point (as another user suggested). 

As a side note, I have spoken to some MHKs for advice, and one thing that I was told was useful was to speak to the people to know what their concerns are, in order to be able to resolve them. Furthermore, in this early stage (3 years before the next election), I do not see the harm in finding out what the population's issues are outside of some of the bigger known ones - especially since the earlier I find them out, the more time I have to think of an alternative or at least consider them. An MHK is supposed to represent the people - how can one do this if they do not speak to the people they are representing? Would you rather that a political candidate sit inside a box and ignore the changing issues of the island? 

If you intend to represent the people, then the people will have to know who the hell you are.

22 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Is an MHK supposed to represent the views of the people? That's a pretty tall order seeing as people have very different views on a whole range of topics. I would suggest that you completely forget that idea right away. Obviously our democracy is extremely flawed but the way it is supposed to work is with decent candidates standing with clear views and honest intentions, and for the electorate to vote for the person they think can best represent them. So you should focus on what you yourself can offer. By all means seek peoples thoughts, but just throwing out a question like 'what do you guys think can be improved about the island' is pretty weak. It is too open, too general, completely pointless. 

Archived