I'm planning to run for MHK for Peel

BornAndRaised

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Thanks! 

I feel like an MHK's interests should lie with the people - just so I have some grounding, what do you guys think can be improved about the island? 

I heard an ex MHK  (ex minister )say recently that they ask folk what to do in relation to a specific subject in order that they can say that they "received a variety of responses",  which was great because they could then go and do what they liked.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, quilp said:

Tiresome. Rather unprovoked too. Give it a rest. Your 'lot' lost, get over it. Nowt more bitter than the sour-grapery of ardent remainers.

Wrong thread regardless... 

Oh the irony!

Recognise this?

:lol:

Woof woof.....

16 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

By all means seek peoples thoughts, but just throwing out a question like 'what do you guys think can be improved about the island' is pretty weak. It is too open, too general, completely pointless. 

I don't know why I bother...

17 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Hi Neil! If it will ease your mind, I can release a manifesto here at some point (as another user suggested). 

As a side note, I have spoken to some MHKs for advice, and one thing that I was told was useful was to speak to the people to know what their concerns are, in order to be able to resolve them. Furthermore, in this early stage (3 years before the next election), I do not see the harm in finding out what the population's issues are outside of some of the bigger known ones - especially since the earlier I find them out, the more time I have to think of an alternative or at least consider them. An MHK is supposed to represent the people - how can one do this if they do not speak to the people they are representing? Would you rather that a political candidate sit inside a box and ignore the changing issues of the island? 

There is an irreconcilable difference between telling people what they want to hear / representing their views (which is the best way to get elected) and telling them the truth (which is not).  For example: 

What you want to hear: you (the people) can have more and better public services while paying lower taxes.

The truth: We need to live within our means, which means balancing the books, paying more taxes and having fewer public services.  We need to pay for wind turbines to be erected all around the island even though they spoil the view, because at some point the gas turbine at Pulrose is going to run out of gas and then we are going to run out of electricity.  We need to stabilise the island's population and stop building new housing estates on farmland, because farms are needed to grow food, without which the people on the aforesaid housing estates will have nothing to eat.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, BallaDoc said:

There is an irreconcilable difference between telling people what they want to hear / representing their views (which is the best way to get elected) and telling them the truth (which is not).  For example: 

What you want to hear: you (the people) can have more and better public services while paying lower taxes.

The truth: We need to live within our means, which means balancing the books, paying more taxes and having fewer public services.  We need to pay for wind turbines to be erected all around the island even though they spoil the view, because at some point the gas turbine at Pulrose is going to run out of gas and then we are going to run out of electricity.  We need to stabilise the island's population and stop building new housing estates on farmland, because farms are needed to grow food, without which the people on the aforesaid housing estates will have nothing to eat.

Good luck.

Or to get onto the "free money" train

Stand for the commissioners, get elected and work hard at pleasing everyone. Join every local club and society Committee you can find, attend every local event, don’t upset anyone and visit all the care homes once a week.

For the next 3 years, or 8, you can’t have a hard word to say to anyone, grit your teeth and bite your tongue.

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Stand for the commissioners, get elected and work hard at pleasing everyone. Join every local club and society Committee you can find, attend every local event, don’t upset anyone and visit all the care homes once a week.

For the next 3 years, or 8, you can’t have a hard word to say to anyone, grit your teeth and bite your tongue.

Is that based on observation?

You forgot "solving the dogshit issue" as a sure fire winner....

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Is that based on observation?

You forgot "solving the dogshit issue" as a sure fire winner....

I know several people who ended up in the keys that way, or, years ago, by being involved in union movements. And dog shit, that’s included in pleasing everyone.

Archived