Climate Change Coalition

b4mbi

Nice of Mr Boot to say he will engage with this newly formed lobby group.

I hope between them, they will turn off this rain and cold wind, and bring back summer, reckon they'll have  6 or 7 month turnaround on that and they can publicise their first joint success!

More seriously, yes, we have to do our bit and I wholeheartedly support the drive to a sustainable renewable energy solution for the Island's needs, but to do that needs £££ which no-one will give us for free!

The only way to get that £££ (without massive tax hikes) is to exploit the natural gas reserves in our territorial waters, which we have the full economic and legal right to exploit. This is the only pathway to the sustainable energy production that would fit with the commitment to an 80% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 (compared to 1990 levels)

They have to get away from the mentality that natural gas is bad - how do they think over 90% of the electricity we use is generated at the moment? And where does that gas come from? Energy self sufficiency is the modern day holy grail for any nation, imagine the possibilities if you didn't have to rely on any other country for your energy needs?

Realistically, the Isle of Man is such a small, insignificant contributor to man-made climate change, that I do wonder what the Climate Change Coalition hope to practically achieve? Persuade China to close down its coal fired power stations?? 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

Nice of Mr Boot to say he will engage with this newly formed lobby group.

I hope between them, they will turn off this rain and cold wind, and bring back summer, reckon they'll have  6 or 7 month turnaround on that and they can publicise their first joint success!

More seriously, yes, we have to do our bit and I wholeheartedly support the drive to a sustainable renewable energy solution for the Island's needs, but to do that needs £££ which no-one will give us for free!

The only way to get that £££ (without massive tax hikes) is to exploit the natural gas reserves in our territorial waters, which we have the full economic and legal right to exploit. This is the only pathway to the sustainable energy production that would fit with the commitment to an 80% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 (compared to 1990 levels)

They have to get away from the mentality that natural gas is bad - how do they think over 90% of the electricity we use is generated at the moment? And where does that gas come from? Energy self sufficiency is the modern day holy grail for any nation, imagine the possibilities if you didn't have to rely on any other country for your energy needs?

Realistically, the Isle of Man is such a small, insignificant contributor to man-made climate change, that I do wonder what the Climate Change Coalition hope to practically achieve? Persuade China to close down its coal fired power stations?? 

........I do agree, very little factory emissions, low vehicle emissions and a small population, what the hell do these idiots want us to do? Do they really think our minuscule little rock has any effect whatsoever on the world's pollution statistics...............

I think everyone, including probably Mr Boot and the Climate Change coalition, is unrealistic about the problem facing us which is essentially unsolvable.  People would like to reduce carbon emissions, increase renewable energy production, maintain economic growth, grow the island's population, increase our standard of living and reduce taxes (or at least, not pay any more taxes than we do already) all at the same time.  One or two of these are probably achievable but only at the expense of the rest.  For example, if we adopt a much less energy intensive lifestyle (think: no cars, no kerosene jet fuel, no heating oil, no natural gas, no coal) and reduce the island's population, we can have low carbon emissions and minimal climate change, just like the island did in the 1700s.  But that's not what people want, or are even prepared to talk about.

Anyone else hear the good doctor on MR this morning wanting to ban the importation of coal and peat on environmental grounds.

Saying we should all be thinking about buying EV's and heating our homes by leccy,  fuck all mention of him being chairman of the MUA and therefore having a vested interest!

ETA and I voted for him thinking he would at least have some scruples as well as a modicum of intelligence!

17 minutes ago, finlo said:

Anyone else hear the good doctor on MR this morning wanting to ban the importation of coal and peat on environmental grounds.

Saying we should all be thinking about buying EV's and heating our homes by leccy,  fuck all mention of him being chairman of the MUA and therefore having a conflict of interest!

ETA and I voted for him thinking he would at least have some scruples as well as a modicum of intelligence!

How very dare you. That’s the next Chief Minister.

We'll have none of that cheap, windy energy stuff discussed round here, please.

We've got £470M still ourstanding on our last attempt to be a self-sufficient nation. It'll never be paid back with cheap leccy, will it?

2 hours ago, finlo said:

Anyone else hear the good doctor on MR this morning wanting to ban the importation of coal and peat on environmental grounds

So the much vaunted heritage steam railways will be converted to electric as well? 

Not on board with that idea.

But banning importation of Peat Andre is an excellent idea.

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

We'll have none of that cheap, windy energy stuff discussed round here, please.

We've got £470M still ourstanding on our last attempt to be a self-sufficient nation. It'll never be paid back with cheap leccy, will it?

it's not getting paid back with our rip off leccy,  i doubt we pay back more than the interest on it.

Archived