P.O Strike Begins.

Max Power

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

So do you have a copy of the management structure for the post office.?

I've seen it. It's like a fat, ugly girl. Too large and not attractive. But that's not unusual in the public sector. All of the departmental structures around IOMG are exactly the same.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Holte End said:

Could you post a link but I was sure I had read somewhere that there were about 220 posties, 80 parcelforce worker and about 350 total work force at the post office.

It must be what people class as management as they seem to have changed the criteria of management in places today

We actually had some figures in a long series of Written Questions that Hooper asked for the September 'Tynwald', in particular #75.  This showed  a total (Full Time Equivalents) of three Directors, 31 Managers and 292 Non-Management Staff (NMS).  Looking at the figures over years there looks to have been some reassignment of managers into NMS in recent times - presumably at no loss of salary etc[1].  Of the NMS, 205 were in the Mails Division, presumably both post and parcel deliverers.

So the one in four managers doesn't apply generally, but it may be true of the Corporate Division which has 12 Managers to 43 NMS plus the three Directors (who are on just under £100k each and who all appear to be the CEO).  As so often you wonder what all these people do for such a small island.  That's 18% of the operation employed as head office and that doesn't include the IMS section (which is presumably where all the Development Managers are).

[1]  Interestingly, though Hooper asked for a breakdown by grade, they didn't give it which suggests some of the NMS may still be on quite a high grade.

• 2 months later...

I see this matter is still going on: Manx Radio:  Strike action 'necessary thing to do' says union

Well I will tell them how to settle this here and now:

Make Chris Thomas* the chair of Isle of Man Post Office. Provided the Post Office people slap him on his back a lot, tell him he is very clever and keep making him smile, he will give them access to the reserves and they can have whatever they want. Some of them will receive huge pay-offs like their other friends in the Isle of Man Government employ. See - everybody is happy (except the general people of the Isle of Man but they don't have to know. Not yet)

*Other  self-interested MHKs needing their egos massaged are available

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap Batman..... 26K for a new postie? I hope they all have degrees in letter sorting and posting!

No wonder IOMPO is struggling financially. I can only imagine what the management are on, based on that.

Absolutely unbelievable!

Isle of Man......... Where you can!

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Yes it’s amazing they couldn’t resolve that one of all of them. I mean how can it be justified. Still the mentally defective kids of some of our civil servants have to find somewhere to earn good wedge for doing nothing don't they? The private sector won’t want them and the only thing that would otherwise lie ahead would be a 30 years in a zero wage contract if they couldn’t create these pockets in government where they can offload them to and ensure they are overpaid and regularly promoted so I’m sure the £26k idiot entry fee will remain. 

It is so wrong that a postie can earn more than a qualified nurse with a degree.

Not just wrong , but offensive

Archived