P.O Strike Begins.

Max Power

First day of the strike and no solution as yet?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=44530&headline=Updated: Last ditch talks fail to avert post strike&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018

’I’ve never been in talks like these as it’s so fait accompli. We’ve wasted two days waiting for the Tynwald debate.’

Tynwald voted to support in principle the board’s strategy including proposals to close the final salary pension scheme for new starters and end Saturday letters delivery.

Mr Pullinger, CWU deputy general secretary postal, said:’Tynwald has taken a side with only one side of the story.

’Politicians once again covered themselves in no glory. No wonder people have lost faith in political processes.’

He said public support for the postal workers was holding up well and CWU members were ’still absolutely determined to fight’.

Like most bullies, Mr Pullinger isn't used to waiting for anyone and exaggerates his strength.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Like most bullies, Mr Pullinger isn't used to waiting for anyone and exaggerates his strength.

I agree, Pullinger can piss off back to the U.K. I have sympathy for the post men and women but you can’t defend some benefits and working practices that have to change. If he thought IOMG wa s just going to cave he was wrong. That said looking at the sad and spineless performance of the other DFE members on Tuesday at least COMIN has now had to take over and Alf seems to have the guts for a fight on this one. 

Isn't the post office loss making?   I would imagine that unless it's had some fairly massive capital expenditure this year and unless it does some significant re-structuring that this will continue to be the case, in light of more and more people using courier delivery services and similar. 

So how exactly do you increase wages without cutting staff and not make even more losses?

No win situation for anyone surely?

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

There probably are but how many of them once in a job would happily take a cut in pay/conditions?

It’s happened to me more than once and I’ve done it to other people several times. It’s called ‘reality’ when a business isn’t performing and can’t afford to pay rates of pay and benefits which are unsustainable. It only ever results in individual redundancies to save costs if collectively people don’t accept a bit of a trim. So they either save themselves collectively; or watch their colleagues get picked off over the next 18 months to dump costs and hope it won’t hit them individually, 

23 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

What “public support”?

I always thought that postmen had a plum job, great pay and conditions etc. I think this is the public's perception even today and I haven't heard a lot of support for them, particularly as there are to be no redundancies, only a cut in overtime. There will be an impact on new starters to reflect the changes the industry has gone through.   

8 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

There probably are but how many of them once in a job would happily take a cut in pay/conditions?

A lot of people have to take a cut especially when they are paid well but not producing anything that be hiked in price

The same should be applied to other gov worker groups too

14 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s happened to me more than once and I’ve done it to other people several times. It’s called ‘reality’ when a business isn’t performing and can’t afford to pay rates of pay and benefits which are unsustainable. It only ever results in individual redundancies to save costs if collectively people don’t accept a bit of a trim. So they either save themselves collectively; or watch their colleagues get picked off over the next 18 months to dump costs and hope it won’t hit them individually, 

Thankfully only happened to me once. Company started trimming the middle level management and left the top tier alone

Archived