P.O Strike Begins.

Max Power

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I think you may have misread that that post. I took 'labour' to mean the workers, not the political party.

You are probably correct. I just did not get the connection between "labour" and posties. I therefor assumed the subject was the "political" party 

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You are probably correct. I just did not get the connection between "labour" and posties. I therefor assumed the subject was the "political" party 

Says a biff who drives a wagon all day, 

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

You’re absolutely right; all the factory/mine/shipyard/dock/etc owners decided that they would voluntarily reduce their profit margins because Tories are such lovely generous souls. 

It had nothing to do with a zero-sum game with profit margins. It was thanks to increased productivity through technological advancement. It was also thanks to people like Henry Ford who had the foresight to know that if you wanted a consumer base to purchase your products, you needed to pay your workforce sufficient wages to be able to do so, which then caused an economic boon, increased home ownership and disposable incomes, creating a consumer middle class, and other major manufacturers to have to follow suit, and generally increased the quality of life for millions of people. It was also Henry Ford who introduced the standard 40-hour work week because he understood that a proper work/life balance led to greater worker productivity and therefore more profit.

3 hours ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

The Chinese did for the factories. The Poles, the coal. The Koreans & Japanese the shipyards. Containerisation, the docks. Not unions.

True innit.

Were the 40 odd managers out today delivering, not n your Nelly.    200 workers 40 odd managers and they wonder why they are losing money ?   For goodness sake put someone in charge who lives in the real world and get rid of half the managers.   With all the online trade going on they should be coining it in if not something is radically wrong and it is not in the posties power to alter the bad business ethic.   I support them all the way.

10 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

It had nothing to do with a zero-sum game with profit margins. It was thanks to increased productivity through technological advancement. It was also thanks to people like Henry Ford who had the foresight to know that if you wanted a consumer base to purchase your products, you needed to pay your workforce sufficient wages to be able to do so, which then caused an economic boon, increased home ownership and disposable incomes, creating a consumer middle class, and other major manufacturers to have to follow suit, and generally increased the quality of life for millions of people. It was also Henry Ford who introduced the standard 40-hour work week because he understood that a proper work/life balance led to greater worker productivity and therefore more profit.

So Henry Ford single headedly dragged British working conditions out of the Dark Ages?

There are many examples of business owning philanthropy; especially within the Methodist/Quaker communities but these are isolated examples.

Nationwide improvements in pay and working conditions were achieved by Labour uniting to remind Capital that the relationship is symbiotic and that no business works without the people on the shop floor; something which successive generations of business owners; both private and state have to be reminded.

6 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

So Henry Ford single headedly dragged British working conditions out of the Dark Ages?

No, I don't recall saying that. He was just an EXAMPLE of it in America. He had peers who also introduced good labour practices because they were Christians and had moral values.

10 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Were the 40 odd managers out today delivering, not n your Nelly.    200 workers 40 odd managers and they wonder why they are losing money ?   For goodness sake put someone in charge who lives in the real world and get rid of half the managers.   With all the online trade going on they should be coining it in if not something is radically wrong and it is not in the posties power to alter the bad business ethic.   I support them all the way.

Give it 15 years and the PO will have 20 workers and 20 'managers'. Half of the 'managers' will be one way or another responsible for the operation of a fleet of delivery robots / drones and automated counters, and the 20 workers will primarily be loading / unloading the bulk to & from the UK and handling the small proportion of irregular items which the robots cannot.

The Hermes delivery / gig economy worker is similarly doomed, Hermes and competitors will move to using delivery 'bots as soon as the finances stack up.

Archived