P.O Strike Begins.

Max Power

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, The Lurker said:

No; they got a look in because the encumbent government of the day embraced globalisation and cheap coal/steal at the expense of whole communities that their class created in the first place without a thought or care for the  economic consequences for those families who depended on those industries; inadvertently creating the benefit culture and disenfranchising most of the north of England. 

It's because the industries you are referring to were in public ownership, with all the attendant bad management and work practices that went with it. Management in steel mills took the least line of resistance by buying coal from overseas because it was a lot less hassle than trying to deal with the unions. The coal industry would have collapsed even 10 years ago because it's not environmentally acceptable. It had bugger all to do with globalisation at the time.

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's because the industries you are referring to were in public ownership, with all the attendant bad management and work practices that went with it. Management in steel mills took the least line of resistance by buying coal from overseas because it was a lot less hassle than trying to deal with the unions. The coal industry would have collapsed even 10 years ago because it's not environmentally acceptable. It had bugger all to do with globalisation at the time.

It had everything to do with the miners bringing down Heath's government.

Thatcher came to power and laid waste to the coal industry to make sure it would never happen again.

Whole communities thrown out of work to wither on the vine.

But they don't vote tory so fuck 'em....

Whither on the vine, my rebel ass.

The ex-miners have never had it so good. They have done very well from white-finger to bad back compo claims, the money has been rolling in. Plenty of decent work for all. If they had all remained down t'pit they would have lungfuls of coal dust by now and probably 6ft under with it.

Many realise this of course.

Anyway, back to the post office - my Private Eye is late.

There is little correlation between Isle of Man Post Office and the carpet-bagged Royal Mail plc. That union guy needs to realise this.

10 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Whither on the vine, my rebel ass.

The ex-miners have never had it so good. They have done very well from white-finger to bad back compo claims, the money has been rolling in. 

The UK coal mining industry had the highest accident rate of all UK industries.

Which makes your post somewhat insulting.

So "URGENT 1st Class Mail" hasn't made it yet.

Poor show...

34 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

They'll have to be pretty sturdy drones to withstand the windy conditions here. Be easier just to train a fleet of seagulls.

Most delivery bots are wheeled self-propelled boxes that roll along the pavement, not the flying type. Major inhibitor would be potholes .....

47 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The UK coal mining industry had the highest accident rate of all UK industries.

Which makes your post somewhat insulting.

So "URGENT 1st Class Mail" hasn't made it yet.

Poor show...

Insulting? How?

Surely you must support the closing of the coal mining industry? As I do, albeit mostly with hindsight.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Insulting? How?

Surely you must support the closing of the coal mining industry? As I do, albeit mostly with hindsight.

Why would you support the closing of an industry?

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I agree regards the environmental aspects of coal and I’m in no way arguing that we should be reopening the mines; even if it were possible; but if the British government had taken a more protectionist stance and not bought in foreign coal then the industry and communities that depended on it could, perhaps, have had a managed decline rather than a catastrophic collapse. 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Like the car, shipbuilding, steel, motorcycle, railway, aircraft and in fact almost every industry Britain has been involved in. Inept management, poor political support and greedy trade unions. 

You can boil all that down to accountants running the industries. Driven of course by the financial desires of the stakeholder, be that the government or shareholder. 

Archived