P.O Strike Begins.

Max Power

16 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s back to Robertshaws argument (which was 100% correct) unless and until it’s corporatized and a commercial board is put in place (if that’s what they want) then the Post Office is what it is and the Boards role is operational in it’s remit and it needs a wider strategy putting in place supported by the DfE and COMIN. A private business would have had to be more aggressive, had a higher risk appetite, and taken some calculated risks in getting into new markets and new income streams. But that isn’t what the Post Office is or has been. It’s been a largely social enterprise that employs people to deliver post and runs some post offices. A commercial board would probably all have been millionaires by now running the IOMs biggest logistics franchise. But that’s not what the Post Offices current structure or role actually is. 

Which also means Robertshaw saying that his government and ultimately the politicians are lilly-livered.

Good at swaggering about being pampered by civil servants and all that but f*** all use for much else.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember, no matter how they dress it up as "savings", scrapping of Saturday morning deliveries is yet another cut in services for the taxpayer. With inconvenience to the likes of concerns that work on Saturdays themselves. Regressive.

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

It depends what those 40 managerial grade staff actually due. In many cases staff may have managers title or been a be in a managers grade but really they are just slightly senior workers. I know a couple of posties, one who got a promotion to a manager but they were not much better off after the "promotion". They got a pay raise but that was largely offset by the overtime etc they lost as they were not entitled to overtime. Yes they moved to a five day working week rather than six days but they stopped having every six days off.

It may have been set out somewhere and I have missed but I have not seen it set out clearly what are the current terms and conditions for postman and what are the new proposals for existing postman. I understand there are to be changes for new workers and proposals to stop deliveries at weekends and the Union say they are fighting against cuts in service, changes to terms and conditions, that they are fighting to protect the future of the post office but it seems nobody sets out is detail what the changes are.

I would like to know now what the basic wage will be before and after, what the working hours and holidays will be, pension contributions, pension rights, six pay, overtime, etc. Without these it is hard to understand the merits of either sides argument.

Often there is too much smoke and mirrors. e.g. it is common for your basic wage not to be your actual basic wage as on top of that there are other "standard" payments such as guaranteed minimum overtime, allowance for X&Y etc. Really these are part of a person's basic pay but have been introduced over many years so that it can be argued that basic pay rises have been constrained whist at the same time ensuring the staff get more money. I don't think many of us really care how something is described if it means we get more money.

We saw the above with the bus drivers,  but it happens in the private sector. It is why many people in the banking, financial sector have "guaranteed" minimum bonuses. It just means businesses can report lower standard wage figures etc whilst ensuring the staff member still get paid a higher amount

As I said I know a couple of posties and it appears that that in many large work force you have a range of staff across all levels some of whom are really good hard working guys whilst others are just there to basically milk the system and get as much out of it as they can because they are "entitled"

Personally I think being a postie is something of an "unglamorous" role shall we say. Not the best paid job with prospects for advancement. Up at Oh-Christ-Hundred hours six days a week to plod around the same streets in all weathers. I wouldn't do it. So why put the squeeze on them?

I think it's just penny-pinching of the very worst kind.

"Don't do as I do. Do as I say...."

So are people now saying that any job without "advancement" should immediately start out at a very high salary? Are we going to apply this consistently across the whole labour market, or are we exclusively applying this to post men? If it was applied consistently, good luck funding it.

26 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

So are people now saying that any job without "advancement" should immediately start out at a very high salary? Are we going to apply this consistently across the whole labour market, or are we exclusively applying this to post men? If it was applied consistently, good luck funding it.

I give up.

What are people now saying?

Just now, P.K. said:

I give up.

What are people now saying?

They're saying post men should be paid a massive salary in compensation for there being no upward career advancement in their profession. A lot of false assumptions in this line of thinking but you can't blame me: I'm just repeating the irrational views of other people.

21 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

.....errm, our post has just been delivered.................2.40 pm!!!!!!!!..........what a service and in this weather too.......thanks to all concerned.............

Off topic but anyway, yesterday morning when the rain was at its heaviest I saw a young girl valiantly delivering Couriers. 

33 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Off topic but anyway, yesterday morning when the rain was at its heaviest I saw a young girl valiantly delivering Couriers. 

Awww. I do like to see a work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit in young people. Too many are raised to feel entitled.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Nonetheless it’s shame she devoted her time and energy to shoving the media equivalent of dog faeces through people’s letterboxes.

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

They're saying post men should be paid a massive salary in compensation for there being no upward career advancement in their profession. A lot of false assumptions in this line of thinking but you can't blame me: I'm just repeating the irrational views of other people.

They're saying "post men should be paid a massive salary" are they?

Sorry but I can't see where that is. Would you provide a quote? Thanks.

Tip: views that seem "irrational" to you will probably seem perfectly rational to those who take a different viewpoint. You should challenge them with facts to try and bring them round to your way of thinking.

In my minds eye I keep seeing a letter. I just can't make out if it's a "J" or a "T" as they're very similar...

£26k isn't a massive salary any more I'm afraid. 

The more I think about this, the posties are not striking for themselves so much as for their position. The current staff won't be too badly affected but new starters will be no more than casual staff. You expect the same levels of commitment and honesty but pay less and give less of a commitment to them? 

Archived